Original topic:

No Facebook notifications

(Topic created on: 05-24-2021 08:18 AM)
Grrl
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, I believe I have all the settings, both in the phone's notification settings and internal Facebook's notification settings, set up correctly; yet I receive zero sound notifications, vibration notifications, banner notifications, and even app icon badge notifications anytime someone "likes" something of mine, leaves a comment, tags me, or posts on my wall, etc. No notifications whatsoever. It is only when I physically go into the Facebook app, that I see their bell notification icon at the top right showing me that I have X amount of notifications awaiting me. Why is that? I get my text message, WhatsApp, email, etc notifications all fine, but zero with Facebook. Please help?

11 Comments
Valeriya
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, Please check if you have allowed notification sound for Facebook. Please follow the below path to allow notifications.

Tap on Settings >> Tap on Notifications >> Search for the facebook app >> Allow notifications.

0 Likes
Grrl
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Hi Valeriya, thank you for getting back so quickly. I have just quadruple-checked that I do indeed have it set up the way you explain: Notifications for Facebook are turned On in general, and then individual ones, like "Comments" are selected to: Alert, Show as pop-up, Sound (on), Vibrate, and App icon badges. Yet I'm still getting nothing. I tested this with a friend last night. We were stumped. I tried to ask a Samsung rep in a store the other day as well, who said she doesn't use Facebook, but said that my Settings look right, so isn't sure why no notifications are coming through.

0 Likes
Valeriya
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, please check for an update and try to uninstall and reinstall the app.

0 Likes
Grrl
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Hi Valeriya. Just yesterday I went back to the Samsung store to ask a rep to look at this issue again, and they suggested exactly what you did--to reinstall the app. They noticed, however, that it is impossible to reinstall the app because Samsung has preinstalled it into the phone--so you can only "open" the app in the app store, or "disable" it in the phone. We tried disabling and re-enabling, but this didn't help either. Any other ideas besides going through the trouble of trying a factory reset to a brand new phone that seems to function otherwise?
0 Likes
Georgine
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, please perform the below steps.

For clear app cache-  From Settings, swipe to and touch Apps. Swipe to and touch the app you want to clear. Touch Storage, and then touch Clear cache.

For clearing data- Open Settings, and then swipe to and tap Apps. Search for the app you want to clear. Tap Storage, tap Clear data, and then tap OK. This will completely wipe the app and reset it to the original settings.

For force stop- tap Settings>>tap 'More' tab>> Application manager>>Running>>Select the application you wish to stop>>Force stop.

0 Likes
Grrl
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Hi Georgine. I've just tried all 3, and tested with a friend after each one. Still no notifications. Any other ideas?
0 Likes
Georgine
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, we suggest you to contact Facebook support/app developer for further assistance.

0 Likes
Grrl
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

I'm pretty sure they're not going to be able to help me. My Facebook notifications have always, and still do, work(ed) fine on all my other devices--like my computer, as well as recently on my last phone which was the iPhone. Furthermore, as I initially mentioned, the notifications within the Facebook app itself work fine on my phone when I physically open the app and see in the top right of the Facebook interface that I have X notifications. It's just the external notifications that Samsung takes care of (like app icon badges, sounds, vibrations, etc) that aren't working.

I'd also imagine that if this is a Galaxy-wide problem that a conversation with Facebook developers is probably better had between Facebook developers and Samsung developers themselves. My small voice won't move much.

If it's worth knowing, a few weeks ago I had another Samsung Galaxy S20 phone and Facebook notifications didn't work on that one either. However, it turned out that notifications in general were glitchy on that phone because it turned out to be a scam phone--hence why I now have another new Galaxy S20 that I've triple checked is legitimate. And yet, Facebook notifications are still with issues. Perhaps it's a Galaxy-wide problem?

0 Likes
Georgine
Options
Galaxy S
Hi, please try backup and reset, reset your device after a backup of the data. Otherwise, it will erase all the data. Get back to us with the results. Here are the steps to backup your data:
Backup from Samsung account--Apps > Settings > Cloud > Backup > Select the data > Back up now.
Backup from Google account--Apps > Settings > Backup and reset.
Here are the steps for factory reset, settings>>General management>>Reset>>Factory data reset>>Scroll down to the bottom and tap on Reset>> Delete All.
0 Likes