Original topic:

Oreo update killed my S8+ battery overnight - YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!

(Topic created on: 04-14-2018 11:45 AM)
EsseightPlus
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
Here how it happens:

On Nougat since purchase 6 months ago - Everything is awesome
Very light user. SMS and very few puzzle games - very few pictures and video. Usually end my days with more than 70% battery life.
Receive notification from Samsung that Oreo update is available to install.
Made sure the battery was 100%, on wifi and connected to update.

Update completed overnight

End of next day, after normal usage - 50% left + Charge all night
End of following day normal usage - 15% left + Charge all night
Open ticket with Samsung - After 3 days, still no tickets reported in my account.
This morning, unplug the phone from charger - Gets notice that battery is at 0% *As I unplugged from the charger*
Go to work - Plug in the cell to charge, reach 4% after 3 hours.
Receive a call from the wife, after 2 seconds, phone shuts down. 0%.- Wife thinks I hung up on her. She's not happy.
Got it to 5% in the next 5-6 hours and contacted Samsung via chat to report issue.

Technician tells me there are no reports of battery drains because of Oreo updates. - I paste him many reports from Samsung's forums.
Technician tells me that all reports of extreme battery drains because of Oreo on Samsung USA's forums do not qualify. Needs to be in Canada.
Reminds me there's no reports on Samsung Canada's forums for battery issues on Galaxy phones
I find 4 on my first search - Paste the links.
Technician assures me the links will be forwarded to proper department.

I have all the same suggestions as everybody else got:
- Try in Safe Mode
- Factory reset phone
- Go to certified repair dealer for physical inspection.
- Impossible to roll back to Nougat

I'll do all of that, and post the progress after each steps. But I'm not getting too excited. My situation is exactly like KOTS21:
https://community.samsungmembers.com/en_CA#/search_post?categoryId=215&postId=278583
Even after 2 factory resets, still has the issue. His image of battery consumption is exactly like my phone in the same order.

What did I expect? I expected Samsung to say: "We are aware that there's an issue with batteries since the Oreo Update that affect thousands of users and we're working on a fix that will be released ASAP"

I got to say, between exploding phones, Bixby and Oreo killing my phone, I'll have to try another brand if this doesn't get fixed. Have been with Samsung since ever. Really disappointing.
28 Comments
Server
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
clearly (once verified) there is something going on with s8 and oreo. sorry to hear. check XDA for root instruction and Nougat rollback of all else fails
0 Likes
Jonathan34
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
A number of users here have reported that factory resetting does the trick. I usually just Wipe cache partition in recovery mode and that does the trick for me. It's a common issue with any update on any device.
0 Likes
RobertZ
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
Canada is different than the USA? lol

Samsung support is poor. They just tell you to submit an error report but then never get back to you. Call them and you get someone who knows less than their sales reps.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Sad but true. Their tech support shines by the lack of knowledge of their technological products (and you know, USA models are CA models since the S8)
0 Likes
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
I think it's more firmware that is the issue. US carriers overly tweak the OS above what Samsung already does and of course that in itself can cause other issues normally not seen elsewhere.
0 Likes
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Sorry to hear about this. Your situation is indeed odd considering factory resets do tend to fix most issues if not all.

If possible, maybe try restoring Oreo to a more cleaner slate? Hope to narrow down what is causing this very severe battery drain.
1. Power off phone
2. Boot into Android Recovery (best method as you're working outside the system OS)
3. do 3 cache partition wipes
4. do 3 factory resets
5. reboot

After reboot, do not setup the phone and do not do any restores. Let it boot to the home screen.

Now repeat steps 1-5 listed above.

This time only do your initial setup of accounts. Do not do any restores at this point and test the battery life now. Hopefully it looks good and working as it should. However, if the battery still performs poorly, I'm going to take a guess that there is something between the OS and hardware that is issue (maybe drivers or something in the background has triggered some unknown fault with the hardware). Hopefully not and can now begin a systematic restore process.

Do not restore everything all at once. First restore your data files little by little. Contacts, messages, calendar, etc. Under no circumstances should you restore any system related files. Reboot the phone and test the battery after each restore. If all goes well, we can then start looking at apps.

Now install the apps from the Play store (again not all at once) and test them. You may want to reboot after each install and test.

If the battery issues happen bang from the start, it would be hard for Samsung to ignore as this is as systematic as one can get to troubleshoot something like this.

HTH
0 Likes
LazyGhost
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Welcome to Oreo! Enjoy your new battery life. I've become accustomed to living like an Apple iPhone user. Hoping that my battery will last before I can charge it again...oh and as fur the advice, ya I had done that and only had Samsung related apps. Guess what...15hr full charge. 😆
0 Likes
Galaxy S
And then there's THIS 🐧d0bfac35-a034-4a10-b2ee-e74c807118a8.jpg
cf7f61da-08f7-44cb-866c-7ca4d0eee6fc.jpg
80fd49df-4cbf-4989-98a8-c3c896c4c7f8.jpg
79464388-e9cf-456e-be4d-f5ab86129a72.jpg
0 Likes
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
My Note 8 Oreo graph/stats. Note 8 shares similar hardware. Still average 6 hours SOT with my usage.3d1dac61-e12d-4455-b40d-0cdf1e8437b9.jpg
d4a94e8d-7b4f-4e70-95d0-183a57aed746.jpg
0 Likes