Original topic:

original photos disappear after saving edit

(Topic created on: 02-10-2021 03:07 PM)
OlgaLeonenko
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
My phone just updated yesterday,  and I noticed a lot of changes to the Gallery app. First I couldn't find Trash Album. Now I found it,  but realised that whenever I edit and save a photo, the original photo disappears! It doesn't even go to Trash. I need to get back to the way it was before. I often edit a photo a few times before choosing the best one,  and also sometimes don't like the edit, and want to go back to the original.
Could anyone resolve the issue? Please help! 
15 Comments
Galaxy S
Oh no, if you have upgraded to OneUI3, you maybe missed this new tricky feature.

Open Gallery and edit any pictures

DO NOT CLICK SAVE,

Click 3 dots on top right corner, you will see Save Copy

Click Save copy will keep your original photo. If click Save button, it will overwite your original.

Now you cannot go back, unless you recover your photos from backup.

Screenshot_20210210-161538_Photo Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20210210-161542_Photo Editor.jpg

OlgaLeonenko
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Thank you Tallman, it wouldn't occur to me for a while to check these three magic dots 😅
Also thanks to the Cprice's answer below, I've now learned that, amazingly, the option Revert will even work AFTER you saved the edit! I now was able to pull my resized tiny image from my Trush folder, and restore it to the original size, wow! 💃🏽
0 Likes
Galaxy S
I wonder how many times you can revert. If edited 2-3 times, revert may not work. So I still recommend Save copy instead unless the photo is not important, loosing it is fine. Otherwise, leave 1 original is the best choice.
Galaxy S
@OlgaLeonenko, with the new Gallery app changes, when you're done making your edits to a photo you're given 2 options "Revert" or "Save". Once you save the edited photo the original does disappear from the gallery. However if you go back to your edited photo at anytime and click edit, you'll have the option to revert the photo back to the original.

Screenshot_20210210-192203_Photo Editor_33066.jpg

OlgaLeonenko
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Thank you so much. It's so cool to hand all these options. Especially to be even able to go back to the original after you saved the edit, and revert back to it, wow! I'm impressed. I am so glad I asked! i Wonder how they even did it possible, for me it's like magic!
cmhwmd
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

I have yet to figure out how to recover my original unedited photo!

0 Likes
Samesung
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Noticed this day one and I actually like the feature. Always hated having to delete the extra copy and thr new edit menu is great...please don't reverse this Samsung 😂
OlgaLeonenko
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
As long as we have an option do either way, it's all cool 😆
Halston
Options
Galaxy S

Hi OlgaLeonenko,

Welcome to the Samsung Members Community Canada.

I hope your query is resolved. Please let us know if you need any further help. If you find any comment helpful, then please take the time to accept it as a solution by clicking on 3 dots and tap on "Accept as Solution".

Thanks, 

0 Likes