Original topic:

Personal review of Samsung DeX experience.

(Topic created on: 08-16-2017 01:49 AM)
Jmak
Active Level 10
Options
Galaxy S

First of all thank you @SamsungCanada and @Nick for such a fascinating and very useful device that was sent to me. I really appreciate it.

Adding to @SnowCat19 review linked below.
https://m.community.samsungmembers.com/en_CA/view/151326?projectId=0&meta=

I am sorry I have to disagree with you on lag. Please see my attached video I dont see any lag issue and if there is feel free to point it out. Also it doesnt click by hover cursor over icon for few seconds.

I really love this device and if i am not playing games on my computer, I use Samsung DeX to browse and watch my late night game stream, watch youtube and view my photo galleries.
This device works perfectly when connected to any samsung display. I have toshiba TV which required adjustments but my Samsung TV and my monitor have no issues with DeX. I also figured out sound issue that I mentioned in @SnowCat19 post, I was suppose to select audio output from samsung connect in notification bar. I don't see any compromise in audio or video quality.
All apps optimized for DeX works perfectly and other apps that are not optimized works but just in phone screen sized potrait mode. To test MSoffice, I made my nephew to do his assignment home work on DeX. He found MSword light(less buttons) yet same as computer. He had no complains and he like smart lookup feature on Dex office.
All phone features are accessible to DeX. you can call, message, video chat, whatsapp and skype.

Only cons that I believe are below.

No audio jack on DeX, phone jack inaccessible while on dock.

For the price DeX is selling for, I think HDMI and charger should be included.

Skype can be better if optimized for DeX. It still works but in phone screen sized(picture attached)

During video chat, front phone camera is used however their is not much adjustment you can do to your phone while sitting on a DeX.

Phone casting feature disable while using DeX.

Overall a very good device introduced by Samsung. I have lots of devices including tablet lying around unused. I can be sure to tell you that Samsung DeX isn't going to be one of them. I use it daily and so far I dont have any complains and gets all my basic jobs done. Offcourse this device cannot be compared to intel computers however it does a pretty good job just by using a cellphone processor and it does give me that desktop computer like feel.
If any of our members want me to test anything on DeX, please feel free to reply me on this post @Jmak. I will try my best to get the answer you seek in 1 or 2 days.

P.S. I love to connect my DeX on my Samsung TV so I am planning to get compact keyboard and trackpad(linked below).

https://www.amazon.ca/Rii-Wireless-Keyboard-touchpad-Computer/dp/B00I5SW8MC/ref=pd_sbs_147_2?_encodi...
d8f60b89-6da2-44c0-81bf-2b2664b82897.jpg
b72fba36-0e96-4fb8-a8c0-3e54edcc8786.jpg
<script>LITHIUM.OoyalaPlayer.addVideo('https:\/\/player.ooyala.com\/static\/v4\/production\/', 'lia-vid-tlbGw1aDE6f7iVKg4i-Zm9QJvwQokUxRw320h240r54', 'tlbGw1aDE6f7iVKg4i-Zm9QJvwQokUxR', {"pcode":"Izc20yOsypmW3dxnmApAaPAnexgM","playerBrandingId":"ODI0MmQ3NjNhYWVjODliZTgzY2ZkMDdi","width":"320px","height":"240px"});</script>(내 동영상에서 보기)

7 Comments
Jonathan34
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
Awesome review! Sounds like a very promising piece of tech for it's first iteration. I don't remember if you were trying to see if you could have it somehow project wirelessly to a Chromecast but if you haven't let me know if you find a way to do that. I think that would be a great feature.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
Hey @JMak, after playing with this device even more, it actually starting working real good for me. The lag I experience was only with my work monitor, so not sure if it had something to do with that. I tried it on my Samsung TV worked great. However it still opens apps just when the mouse is hovered over the icon for a few seconds...I cant find any setting to disable that.
Overall, great device!
Jmak
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
@Jonathan34 I could find any Intrtgrated solution may be a 3rd party app could help let see. If I find anything I will be sure to post.
Jmak
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
@snowcat19 I am looking for that setting didn't find any. Try reseting your Dex home in apps.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
@Jmak, thanks bro will try that :)
0 Likes
sikhness
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
I wish you could use Samsung Dex wirelessly like how you can using Continuum for Windows Mobile. That would be amazing because then you could project your phone to your tv wirelessly in a desktop like environment.
0 Likes
Jmak
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Both stream in video are running at 1080p plus a game and Msword all running at same time with no issues at all. I am pretty sure that if samsung keeps working on Dex it will only gets better from this point onwards.