Original topic:

S20 FE 5G U.I. 3 update

(Topic created on: 01-19-2021 08:21 AM)
inYYZ
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
Folks, I see the S20FE being updated to Android 11 in many regions globally. When is this going to happen in Canada?
Anyone with inside info from our great carriers?
16 Comments
Retsushi
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Mine is unlocked from Samsung, on Vidéotron network. Would be great if Samsung gave us a date for availability in Canada, and from there we believe it's gonna be carrier piece by piece
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

You can always check the Carrier's os update schedules. 

Here's links to Telus & Rogers, but Telus seems to be more accurate & timely.

Also the reason why you see updates already pushed, from around the world, it's because those are the international Exynos phone & Exynos is Samsung's own chipset, which always gets updated sooner than the North American Snapdragon phones. 

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility/Software-Update-Schedule/ta-p/53566

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/OS-Upgrades/OS-Upgrade-Schedule/td-p/354931

inYYZ
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
thank you! 🙏
Baspi
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
The S20FE 5G is snapdragon worldwide and it has gotten android 11 worldwide now expect for Canada
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Wow, you're right! I'm really surprised that the international version is using Snapdragon! There must be a lot of unhappy people in Europe! One of the big things that the Exynos version has, is an unlocked bootloader, so for many people, being able to root their phones is really important.

Unless for some reason, the international Snapdragon variant doesn't have a locked bootloader, which would be weird. 

Retsushi
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
But the 5G version is Snapdragon only, so I think there is more SD on the market than Exynos
0 Likes
Sabsung
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
I'm hoping we get Android 11 before Android 12 comes out 🙄. Very disappointing for a new phone to have to wait this long to have the latest OS.
mike8606
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
very disappointing the s20fe is part f the s20 series, which should mean its a high end phone, no android 11 yet and no jan. security update either...come on samsung what yhe **bleep**???
Sabsung
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
I just finished message chatting with a Samsung support representative. Asked why so many older as well as less expensive phones have received Android 11 yet the FE is still no updated. Also mentioned that the MONTHLY security updates take forever (still haven't received the January update). He was a very nice gentleman but has ZERO information from Samsung. coming from Google phones for the past 8 years I'm quite disappointed. I purchased this phone because of the impressive hardware for the price and the fact that Samsung claims 3 years of updates now like Google has offered. Now I realize that means nothing if they don't actually release the updates for your phone. Live and learn, I won't be fooled again with my next purchase.