Original topic:

S20+ Green Line and Negligence (Front Cam) <Malaysia>

(Topic created on: 08-31-2022 03:18 PM)
Fyonnnn
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S

Phone Model : Samsung S20+ (SM-G985FZKDXME)

18/8/22 (Thursday) – Updated the software, and suddenly vertical green line appeared on the screen right after the software update without any physical damage (Phone was used for 2 years and did not drop before).

19/8/22 (Friday) – Went to One Utama Samsung, the worker said it is common issue for Samsung and no solution as of now. Went to One Utama Samsung Service Center (PJ), the staff mentioned even though the phone is out-of-warranty, still manage to repair it free of charge by Samsung for s20 series till Dec’2022 due to software issue caused by Samsung. The staff recommended me to backup and send my phone to them on 22/8/22 (Monday) because he said that nobody is working during weekend to approve. (To note that phone that is out-of-warranty, it requires Samsung to approve before the technician could order the spare parts and repair)

22/8/22 (Monday) – I send my phone to One Utama Samsung Service Center (PJ), the staff ran the test and everything was all good, he just mentioned that my censor got slightly problem but it won’t affect anything. (Please note that before I send my phone to the service center, other than the vertical green line, everything was alright including my front camera).

26/8/22 (Friday) – I was called by Service Center and told me that Samsung rejected my phone due to front camera sometimes malfunction and if it needs to be fix, I have to spend MYR1K+ (including service cost as my phone was out-of-warranty). At this point I was quite disappointed because I am not aware that my phone’s front camera was defect. I went to One Utama Samsung Service Center again to collect my phone as I decided not to fix it as this hardware issue which caused by software doesn't have any guarantee that same issue will not occur again after screen replacement, and for sure next software update won't solve the current vertical green line, and at that time I asked the staff to run the test again for me because phone battery still left with 10+%, I thought of bringing it back home and test again.

When I got back home, I realize my camera app couldn’t switch to front camera (it frozen). I tried to factory reset and it was still the same. I tried to open face recognition, it shows couldn’t detect the camera. When I googled it, it seems like due to software issue as well. I swear before sending to the service center, front camera works really well. At this moment, I suspect the technician has caused the front camera failure, and as a consumer, in my mind I have two assumptions:

i) The technician caused the failure, and sent the error report to Samsung, and Samsung rejected it.

ii) The technician caused the failure, and didn’t send the error report and just told me that Samsung has rejected my request.

27/8/22 (Saturday) – I made a call to One Utama Samsung Service Center and told them about this issue in the morning. And the technician called me back in the afternoon and told me that they these are caused by software issue, they will try to escalate twice to Samsung.

i) First Escalation – For front camera

ii) Second Escalation – After front camera’s has been approved, then escalate the vertical green line issue.

On the same day, I have made a visit to the same service center again and pass them my phone.

30/8/22 (Tuesday) – Around 7pm+, I was informed by the staff that Samsung rejected my request for the first escalation due to motherboard issue. I am speechless, after done blaming for human error -> software issue -> then now motherboard issue.

To be honest, as a 10+ years Samsung user, I am really disappointed. At the same time when deploying new things, appreciate if you guys could cater also older models. S20 series was launched in 2020, it was actually two years back only. And I could see a lot of users were having the same issues from all around the world. I believe Samsung has lowkey to admit their software issue and that’s why giving free of charge of changing the screen till Dec’2022. However, I could see not much lucky cases there to get the “free of charge” service.

Moreover, before sending it to the service center on 22/8/22, my front camera was alright. After that, my phone couldn’t detect my front camera and caused camera failed. (All applications that required the usage of camera, such as Instagram, Snapchat, will be frozen and lag abit if I accidentally switch it to the front camera). I asked the technician what had been done before sending to Samsung, he mentioned that there will be “trial and error” of each parts to investigate which part’s issue. I am sure the front camera has been spoiled while at the deeper testing stage.

Anyways, thanks for reading such a long message. I am posting this to create awareness if anyone else also facing this issue, but not asking for anything else as I am really very disappointed. You guys could also ask me if you have any enquiries. Attached are the proof of the vertical green line on screen and camera failed. 

23 Comments
Fyonnnn
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
-IMG-20220821-WA0005_33598_1661076807.jpgIMG-20220827-WA0001_33599_1661533248.jpg
0 Likes
Jolinnn
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S

Reply for Visibility! 😥

Fyonnnn
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
😥😥
0 Likes
KenHibiki
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
My brother's s20+ also got green line out of nowhere. Never dropped it or anything. I'll try to take it to the service center and hopefully they'll repair it FOC. If not, then it's better to just buy a new phone
0 Likes
Fyonnnn
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Yesss you may reach out to the nearest authorized service center~ the first criteria must be there is no any physical damage that we could see it with our naked eyes.

Please do also backup the phone and do factory reset before handing over. And do check the quotation whether is it quoted with MYR 0.

I hope your bro's wont be similar case as me, i really regret sending over my phone to them, more and more issues coming out although mine was well-functioned before that 😅
0 Likes
KenHibiki
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
I'll definitely record the phone and its functions as proof that everything is working properly before handing over to them so they can't blame it on me if they made a mistake
Fyonnnn
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Hope to listen good news from you soon !
0 Likes
Galaxy S

Hi, I got the same issue. I'm using note 20 ultra.. Update on 16/8, then I got the line appear today. Sad case, while chatting with live agent. Nothing can help. Guess gonna pay by self for the repair cost. Swap from iPhone to Samsung got this issue. Really disappointed with Samsung. Anyone got this issue resolved here, can share what can we do ? Feel not worth to repair by own money with this software error cause this issue. 

0 Likes
Fyonnnn
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Yeahh live agent will ask you to try on safe mode, factory reset and so on. I think you can reach out to nearest authorized Samsung Service Center to ask them for FOC screen replacement. I don't recommend to repair by your own money as we are not sure this issue will coming back again or not.

Anyways, i am considering to switch to iPhone soon, lost my trust in Samsung 😅