Original topic:

S20+ Green Line and Negligence (Front Cam) <Malaysia>

(Topic created on: 08-30-2022 08:04 PM)
Fyonnnn
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S

Phone Model : Samsung S20+ (SM-G985FZKDXME)

18/8/22 (Thursday) – Updated the software, and suddenly vertical green line appeared on the screen right after the software update without any physical damage (Phone was used for 2 years and did not drop before).

19/8/22 (Friday) – Went to One Utama Samsung, the worker said it is common issue for Samsung and no solution as of now. Went to One Utama Samsung Service Center (PJ), the staff mentioned even though the phone is out-of-warranty, still manage to repair it free of charge by Samsung for s20 series till Dec’2022 due to software issue caused by Samsung. The staff recommended me to backup and send my phone to them on 22/8/22 (Monday) because he said that nobody is working during weekend to approve. (To note that phone that is out-of-warranty, it requires Samsung to approve before the technician could order the spare parts and repair)

22/8/22 (Monday) – I send my phone to One Utama Samsung Service Center (PJ), the staff ran the test and everything was all good, he just mentioned that my censor got slightly problem but it won’t affect anything. (Please note that before I send my phone to the service center, other than the vertical green line, everything was alright including my front camera).

26/8/22 (Friday) – I was called by Service Center and told me that Samsung rejected my phone due to front camera sometimes malfunction and if it needs to be fix, I have to spend MYR1K+ (including service cost as my phone was out-of-warranty). At this point I was quite disappointed because I am not aware that my phone’s front camera was defect. I went to One Utama Samsung Service Center again to collect my phone as I decided not to fix it as this hardware issue which caused by software doesn't have any guarantee that same issue will not occur again after screen replacement, and for sure next software update won't solve the current vertical green line, and at that time I asked the staff to run the test again for me because phone battery still left with 10+%, I thought of bringing it back home and test again.

When I got back home, I realize my camera app couldn’t switch to front camera (it frozen). I tried to factory reset and it was still the same. I tried to open face recognition, it shows couldn’t detect the camera. When I googled it, it seems like due to software issue as well. I swear before sending to the service center, front camera works really well. At this moment, I suspect the technician has caused the front camera failure, and as a consumer, in my mind I have two assumptions:

i) The technician caused the failure, and sent the error report to Samsung, and Samsung rejected it.

ii) The technician caused the failure, and didn’t send the error report and just told me that Samsung has rejected my request.

27/8/22 (Saturday) – I made a call to One Utama Samsung Service Center and told them about this issue in the morning. And the technician called me back in the afternoon and told me that they these are caused by software issue, they will try to escalate twice to Samsung.

i) First Escalation – For front camera

ii) Second Escalation – After front camera’s has been approved, then escalate the vertical green line issue.

On the same day, I have made a visit to the same service center again and pass them my phone.

30/8/22 (Tuesday) – Around 7pm+, I was informed by the staff that Samsung rejected my request for the first escalation due to motherboard issue. I am speechless, after done blaming for human error -> software issue -> then now motherboard issue.

To be honest, as a 10+ years Samsung user, I am really disappointed. At the same time when deploying new things, appreciate if you guys could cater also older models. S20 series was launched in 2020, it was actually two years back only. And I could see a lot of users were having the same issues from all around the world. I believe Samsung has lowkey to admit their software issue and that’s why giving free of charge of changing the screen till Dec’2022. However, I could see not much lucky cases there to get the “free of charge” service.

Moreover, before sending it to the service center on 22/8/22, my front camera was alright. After that, my phone couldn’t detect my front camera and caused camera failed. (All applications that required the usage of camera, such as Instagram, Snapchat, will be frozen and lag abit if I accidentally switch it to the front camera). I asked the technician what had been done before sending to Samsung, he mentioned that there will be “trial and error” of each parts to investigate which part’s issue. I am sure the front camera has been spoiled while at the deeper testing stage.

Anyways, thanks for reading such a long message. I am posting this to create awareness if anyone else also facing this issue, but not asking for anything else as I am really very disappointed. You guys could also ask me if you have any enquiries. Attached are the proof of the vertical green line on screen and camera failed. 

MRaziq
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
I also face the same problem but on the regular S20 ( not the plus model). The person at the service center said that its tru, there is a free screen replcement for this problem. But they said the foc replacement only applicable for samsung S20+ model only. If you are using S20 or S20 Ultra, no free replacement. I really dont understand why the free replacement only applicable for specific model while other models also face the same problem.
WinnieC
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Sorry to hear your issue. Before I continue my comment, please don’t get mad or offence/ defence. All my concern is based on the situation on the above post. No party is right or wrong but I just want to get the clarification as in what is happening. So chill, ya.

If you ask me, I would say:

• YES, I am happy that Samsung are willing to give/ repair the screen for free for S20 series user who have the green line/ pink line. The thing I don’t like is, Samsung never make any announcement to this free screen repair to S20 user (not even through social media). They don’t even tell people that what is the requirement in order to repair/ fix the screen issue at all. FYI, in India there is a newspaper announcement. Why Samsung Malaysia want to hide this issue?  
  • For every single repair work which done by a professional technician, it supposed to have a clear report. I am sure there is a check list and remarks column for you to check/ uncheck and write your own point together with the person signature (the one who repair the device). This report is very important if you understand what I mean here.
  • If I were you, I will be brought up this case to Samsung HQ and ask for their feedback base on the situation you faced at Samsung Service Centre in One Utama. If Samsung HQ cannot provide a reasonable answer to you, I guess you should go to CFM (you should know what is it). Decision is still with you because is your right as a consumer.  

Here is my concern (please note that I am not a professional on mobile phone hardware, just a normal consumer/ user):

• When the first time you visit the centre (22/8/22 (Monday), Samsung staff told you ‘the censor got slightly problem but it won’t affect anything’.

Question, is the sensor got any relation with the screen issue? Next, after confirmed that the sensor won’t affect anything, why Samsung did not send out the phone to the HQ or wherever for a repair after checking the phone? Did Samsung tell you what they will do next? Unless you tell me that Samsung need to inspect further to the phone. But Samsung should also tell you what they will inspect. This is strange to me because if you refer to point 4 below later.

• 26/8/22 (Friday). Samsung rejected the screen repair due to front camera malfunction.

Question, is the camera are the causes to the screen to become a green/ pink line?

• 26/8/22 (Friday) again. You notice that the front camera is not working anymore after the so called ‘Samsung inspection’.

Question, did you ask why the camera suddenly gone like this? Because at the first point before you hand over your mobile phone to them, the front camera work fine. But after hand over to them the front camera spoil. Doesn’t make sense to me. Unless Samsung manage to give a reasonable answer then I am fine.

• 27/8/22 (Saturday). You mentioned ‘technician called you back in the afternoon and told you that these are caused by software issue’. Can I assume that this is the question you ask for the point number 3 above?

Question, if yes, then why the software issue suddenly causing this problem during the time they took over your phone? What did Samsung technician did earlier on August 26? As a consumer you got the right to know what Samsung did on the front camera because it doesn’t make any sense that before you send over the phone to them and the front camera is good but after you send over, the front camera spoil (or as you called it frozen).

FYI, from this point I can say that (unless they give a reasonable answer):

1) Samsung should be responsible for the spoil of the front camera

2) Isn’t it Samsung is the one who admit that the phone got nothing wrong during your first visit where they confirmed to you that the censor is not a big issue? (Refer to point 1). Why now they want to disturb the front camera? To me Samsung are like finding every part of the phone faulty in order to not fix/ repair the screen for free.

Question again, for the escalation part (1 and 2). Can Samsung assure to you that there’s really an escalation been made? As a consumer, you got the right to know as well because how the hell I know if you escalate or not OR if you really did, what did you write inside?

• 30/8/22 (Tuesday). After you hand over your phone to them again (second time right), they told you that ‘the first escalation is due to motherboard issue’.

Question, I thought you plan not to fix it anymore and why you still want to handover your phone to them again?

Question, do they know that this is your second time to hand over the phone to them? Did you deal with the same Samsung staff? Including the same technician? (this might be hard for you to know)

Question, did you ask them why they blame on the motherboard this time?

Final question, can Samsung tell you in short why they can’t fix or repair your phone? Is it due to front camera, motherboard or software? This is confused because what I see was, excuse with excuse by Samsung in order not to fix/ repair the screen.

Actually, there’s a lot of things I mentioned above need to be clarify because what I see is there’s only excuses for not to fix/ repair the screen. But do note that this is just based on your situation above but did you really get a reasonable answer from Samsung too? To me, of course I will bias to your case because that is what I read from your post above.

Remember, you are the consumer. If you feel anything not right, you got the right to get the answer. If they can’t give a reasonable answer and plan to dodge everything, of course it is your right to report direct to CFM.

That’s it from me, again please do not feel any offence or defence for anything. It is just a comment from a normal user (not a professional user).

** The question mentioned above is not for you or Samsung to answer. So don’t worry. Lol. The question I ask there is just my curiosity because I see a lot of things happen without a proper answer.

I made another conclusion here for those who want to go to Samsung Centre for a service, repair, etc. What I see from this situation, I don’t feel secure (no offence).

Before hand over any device for warranty claim (or without), repair, fix, etc:

• Video everything: The original phone itself, camera, functions, etc
  • Prove to the technician that there’s nothing goes wrong with the phone (make sure there are witness from both side)
  • Ask clearly what Samsung will do to your phone, if possible, tell in details. This is to avoid any misunderstanding
  • How many technicians and who is the technician will inspect the phone. If possible, ask directly, how professional is that person  

Chong1995
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
well, i got the same issue sincr few months ago, just now before i went to bath, still got 2 pink color vertical lines on my screen, after i bath i saw another green lines showing up on my screen so there are total 3 vertical lines on my screen
0 Likes
Chong1995
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
this device is not cheap, cost me RM 3,999 but giving me this kind of issue. Very disappointed now
Fyonnnn
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Same here MYR 3,999 :( another thing which disappointing me is my front camera failure which caused by them lol. Now my phone is resting in peace.
0 Likes
Scoolest88
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
I got 13 lines on my screen all of sudden......samsung cant be trusted....price range to change screen so **bleep** expensive,still not sure it gonna be okay if i change it...for how long....lol
0 Likes
Fyonnnn
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Same, at first i was thinking to buy new Samsung device but who knows later after 2yrs gonna dead again.
0 Likes
WinnieC
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Sometime it really depend on luck. Who know if i use Epal or other branded devices and there's other problem too? Samsung S20 series problem is a fact where everyone notice, just that Samsung don't admit is their faulty. But other Samsung model seems OK at the moment. Lol.

I do used Epal product and i did a check with them too about the warranty issue and their services. Based on what i see, in Malaysia it is hard to get a 1-1 replacement (under warranty) but it still happen. For repairing, it prove that Samsung technician is way too lack of knowledge. This case is just an example. Beside that i did hear from a member here where he went to Bukit Bintang service center for a camera repair/ replacement for S22 (imagine it is S22). After so many times visited the place, the camera being replaced and yes BUT the problem still happen and the phone camera inside now come with dust inside but Samsung technician don't admit is their faulty. Well, maybe this is part of Malaysia working attitude (sorry to say so, no offence). Back to Epal again, i did go ask them how they will solve some issue and what they told me was, they will check the devices by them first and if any problem they will send to Singapore for a replacement or repair (i might be wrong because that is the answer i got from The Curve service center). So from here you can judge yourself.

Whether to buy Samsung or not, is really depend. As a consumer, always shop smart. If you ask me, i might still stick with Samsung because of the thing where Android have, that is what i want it. I won't buy a phone base on the look and price but i will buy it base on what i need. For my case, S22 ultra is great but i don't use camera, so why i need S22 ultra? Hope you get what i mean.

najwahudaa
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
I am using Note20, after the August update, my display started flickering and shows green tint. I went to The Mines service centre and they couldn't even tell me what's causing this issue. They suggested me to change the screen which would cost me almost 1k.

This is absolutely ridiculous and it appears that Samsung don't care about this issue. Now I finally understand why Apple products are superior in terms of quality.
Galaxy S

Just change to Apple and say goodbye to samy boi.
Wasted all these year supporting a company who does even listen to their customer.
At least apple will retain it value better if u decided to sell it after

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s/samsung-malaysia-must-stop-ignoring-all-s20-series-disp...