Original topic:

S20plus screen flashing

(Topic created on: 10-07-2021 05:42 AM)
Dave007
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
Ever since the last update about a week ago my screen continually flashes once every few minutes ..... and full screen apps such as Google maps and YouTube minimize the window randomly

Is there a fix coming for this? Please?? 
11 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

It's possible that the screen flickering / blinking / UI glitch may be related to Samsung Messages, although it seems that it's more common on the S21 series.

To see if it is indeed the cause on your device, try a couple of things.

First go to Settings >Apps search for Samsung Messages & click on it, scroll down to "Allow to Appear on Top" and Toggle it OFF.

The second thing to try, is to download Google Messages (if you're not already using it, if you are disregard the next step).

After downloading Google Messages from the Play Store, make it your Default Messaging app. If Samsung Messages is causing the UI Glitch, by setting Google Messages as the default messaging app, the blinking / flickering UI glitch should stop, as Samsung Messages is no longer trying to pop-up with a notification.

Let me know if this works for you.

As for Maps & YouTube, I don't have any issues on my S20 Ultra which is running the same update as you.

I always Boot into Recovery after any Security Patch Update & Wipe Cache. It shouldn't be necessary, but I've never had any problems with this approach. 

Valeriya
Options
Galaxy S

Hi Dave007, please try the suggestion provided by RedDogRabbit and get back to us with the results. Thank you for the response RedDogRabbit.

0 Likes
Dave007
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Hi RedDog... I really appreciate the suggestions. I am trying this in steps and have done the first step to restrict the 'appear on top'. Its been an hour and I haven't noticed any flicker 😁 (yet). We'll have to try my other apps in the same scenario were they cause problems last time. will let you know how this goes.

As an aside I have always used the default Samsung messages so I am concerned about transferring to a different messaging platform because I'm worried about history and functionality changes. But that will be my next step according to your steps above if this first step doesn't work

Thanks again
Dave
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

I wouldn't be concerned about using Google Messages instead of Samsung Messages (I believe that Samsung is migrating to Google Messages themselves anyway), but I can switch the Default Messaging app on my S20 Ultra & I don't lose any of my texts or functions, no matter how often I switch between the two. 

Regardless of which Messaging app you use, it is always a good idea to backup your messages to Smart Switch, Google Cloud or One Drive (as Samsung Cloud will be deprecated shortly). 

Hope this helps 🙂

Toxicfire
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
I did the message appear on top thing but after a day the glitches came back so your best bet is to get google messaging all your messages and info transfers over no problem. That seems to bandaid fix problem 95% as now only a couple apps have the glitches.
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Sounds like using my suggestion, of selecting Google Messages as the default Messaging app is a "solution" lol 😂 

Toxicfire
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Yes now what do you suggest to do for the other 5% haha so ridiculous we have to do all this nonsense just to use expensive phones with out all the glitches that seems is not just a select few but a very large wide spread issue.
0 Likes
Dave007
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Well, as expected, the first suggestion didn't fully work. I notice it still, but mostly when I'm using my message app (samsung native app). I guess next step is to switch to Google messages. Wonder how widespread this is, and why we haven't heard about a patch
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

I've been using Google Messages all along & never had any issues with screen flickering on my S20 Ultra.

Hopefully it'll be the solution for you 🤞