Original topic:

S20u False moisture issue

(Topic created on: 08-25-2021 06:13 PM)
Elvis7
Active Level 2
Options
Galaxy S
Since the July update, my galaxy s20 Ultra has been making false moisture detected claims whenever I plug in my USB c to audio cable adapter (worked perfectly fine prior), and also when my phone is plugged in and charging in my wife's 2021 santa fe. If the santa fe is turned off and the phone is plugged into any USB port, it'll set off the moisture detected message and alarm, and will not allow me to plug it into anything for a while. If I unplug the phone before the vehicle is turned off, then there's no issue.

I've tried different cables, and vehicles (I have a 2017 santa fe, wife had 2018 Honda crv prior) and it only seems to happen with her.

I have Samsung care plus which will cover a repair but they want me to send in my phone and I'll be left without one for over a week.

Any thoughts? this seems like a software issue, no?

Cheers,

Update 2021 08 29
None of the suggestions worked.
The phone will no longer recognize usb c storage, usb c to A adapters, usb c to headphone adapter.
(Gives moisture detected message with all of them, yet they worked fine before) 

I have not choice but to buy a new phone so I can send this one in for repair.

Update 2021 09 11

The phone was sent out on September 07th and returned to me on September 10th 2021.

The issue is now fixed, but they said the repair was for physical/water damage and I only have 1 repair coverage left. I'm a little confused as to what the damage was and would like to learn so as to prevent it, seeing as I've never wet or dropped my phone.

I'm also a little put off that android recovery, and the Samsung smart switch back I also did just in case, did not recover my app data but after hours restoring everything and log ins, my phone is back to normal. 

I will call on Monday and ask for the log report. 

Cheers, 
24 Comments
Georgine
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, please try the below steps and get back to us with the results.

If your phone is receiving an error that says moisture has been detected but your phone has not been exposed to water, there are a few explanations.

• It is possible that there is a software error or bug. A security patch may solve the problem. Try checking your phone for the latest software.
  • If you live in a humid environment, it is possible that there is moisture buildup inside the charging port. Shake your phone to remove any excess water, and then let it sit for 1 to 2 hours, so the water can naturally evaporate. If the error message does not go away, try very carefully to clean the charging port with a dry Q-tip.

• If you need to charge your phone right away, use a wireless charger. Wireless charging is not affected by moisture or foreign materials in the charging port. If your device supports wireless charging, you can try charging it that way. Make sure to thoroughly dry the device before placing it on the wireless charger.

Note: If the popup does not go away, your phone will require service.

Galaxy S
Try the following since you have mentioned update has been performed.

- Power off your phone
- Press and hold vol up and power key until you are in recovery mode
- use vol up and down to navigate
- select Wipe Cache Partotion
- press power key to confirm
- click yes
- click reboot system

Then test again and see if problem persist.
Elvis7
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
did not work.
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

In addition to the other suggestions, you can try putting the phone in a baggy half filled with UNCOOKED rice overnight. 🤞

0 Likes
Elvis7
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
there's no actual moisture..
0 Likes
Georgine
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, please try all the suggestions provided by others and get back to us with the results.

RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

That may well be the case, but a baggy of rice is better than sending the phone to a Service center, or waiting for an update. If it works, great, if it doesn't cook the rice with your favourite meal. 

RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

I should also point out that I have the S20 Ultra, also on the July Security Patch Update, so it's definitely not a firmware update issue.

You might have a hardware issue, or even though you believe that there's no moisture, maybe you do, maybe you don't?

If it's a hardware issue, then your only options are;

* Try the rice.

* Backup with smart switch &                   factory reset. 

* Send it for service. 

Elvis7
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
I turned on both cars side by side, I plugged in the phone to my car usb port let it charge for 3 minutes then turned the car off, no issues. I kept the same cable connect to the phone and unugged the USB from my car. I walked over to my wife's car and plugged it into the USB port of her car. I let it charge for 3 minutes and turned the car off, and it immediately gave the moisture detected alarm/message.