Original topic:

S21 ultra GPS issues

(Topic created on: 04-06-2021 05:27 AM)
Pumpking
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S

Hi All,

Anyone else experiencing GPS issues? I am facing this on Google maps and waze. GPS signal will be lost after a few minutes and the phone will just search for GPS.  I have tried various fixes recommended like switching off 5G, rebooting, switching off and on location services.... to no avail.

50 Comments
Brando
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Make sure your in a fairly open area. If you haven't already, go to location in settings and then go to to improve accuracy and turn on Bluetooth and wifi scanning. Also make sure you are connected to internet or a mobile network to help the GPS.
Pumpking
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Hi brando, 

Thanks for the tips. But I have already done all the above and all the common sense stuff like be in an open area etc. I saw multiple other s21 ultra users commenting on Google maps app page on the same issues as me. My wife's old Asus zenfone 6 has no issues with GPS and we run both phones at the same time to make sure I am in an open area. Her phone manages to get the GPS signal while I am driving,  but the s21 ultra just keeps trying to look for GPS 80% of the time. It works maybe 20% of the drive, which makes it unusable and unreliable. 

Brando
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Are you using android auto in your car or just the Google maps app?
0 Likes
Pumpking
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

I am using the Google maps app. Will android auto help?

0 Likes
Ethan121
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S

I've had the same issue, have tested on 3 s9+'s, 2 s9's, and a note 10+, and it's only happening with my S21.

Solution
Valeriya
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, GPS signal may be obstructed by electrical devices inside the vehicle. Therefore if the symptom appears while the car engine is turned off, check whether your car has tinted windows. If so, check the material of the tinted windows as well. In the case car windows are tinted with metal material, GPS signal may be weak due to it and maybe obstructed, so GPS signal may not be received properly. And, if the symptom appears only while the car engine is turned on, the GPS signal may be obstructed by electrical devices connected inside the vehicle. Please check if the problem maintains to occur while removing the dashcam, charger, or any electrical devices one by one.

Pumpking
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

I have tried your suggestions and they do not work. I have tested with my wife's iPhone 12 and my old Asus zenfone 6 In the car at the SAME TIME with my s21 ultra. Only the s21 ultra has trouble with the GPS. Says searching For GPS... and has difficulty locking on to GPS after that. It is unusable. The poster below seems to have the same issues even outdoors running. Really frustrating that samsungs top end device has issues like these when iPhone etc has zero issues. 

Even my old Asus phone GPS is working fine. 

Members_r3JV24s
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy S

Manage to solve the issue?

0 Likes
Mo86
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S

Hi

I am facing the same issue with my S21 ultra!!

0 Likes