Original topic:

S21 ultra GPS issues

(Topic created on: 04-06-2021 03:15 AM)
Pumpking
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S

Hi All,

Anyone else experiencing GPS issues? I am facing this on Google maps and waze. GPS signal will be lost after a few minutes and the phone will just search for GPS.  I have tried various fixes recommended like switching off 5G, rebooting, switching off and on location services.... to no avail.

Resolved!
50 Comments
Fiston99
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
I have the exact same problem with my S20 FE . Worked for a year. Problem started a month ago.
0 Likes
MMS21
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
So I had the same problem with my S21. I have a dash cam (no wireless/GPS on that). There was no issue for months until last week when I noticed the searching for GPS problem.
I reinstalled maps, Andriod auto and cleared cache to try to fix it. I finally turned off battery optimization and power saving mode and it works!
I don't ever recall changing any settings before. 🤷
Try and turn off app optimization for anything related to maps and connection
0 Likes
Campermark71
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

I had the same issues so I ran a couple of tests and I think I have solved the problem. I was using a magnetic phone holder but tried a clamp type holder, the GPS worked perfectly! Plugged the charger into the 12v socket just behind where the phone was, GPS lost! Plugged a long charging lead into one of the rear USB sockets, GPS works perfectly again! 

So the solution is non magnetic phone holder and charging socket away from the phone. 

0 Likes
wmusil
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S

Yep same here. Really wish my S9 had not blown up. Long time Samsung user. This is my forth or fifth Galaxy, but it appears, I may have gotten a downgrade. My S9 had very very accurate GPS and my timeline accurately recorded not only location, but routes taken. New S21 misses entire days and when it does work, my timeline looks like I am flying in a plane, with no route info. Yup I am convinced this is all the S21. My S9 worked perfectly until the battery swelled and blew off the back cover.  Same cars. Same neighborhood. The ONLY difference is my shiny new S21. I expect Samsung will blame it's customers.  Too bad. Guess maybe time to consider a different brand.

DirtDiv3r
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy S

Hi, I have been having the same issues since buying my S21 Ultra. Using Google maps and trying to navigate to a destination I get GPS signal lost.

I find it unacceptable that a manufacturer can sweep an issue under the carpet and insult a customer's intelligence by repeating the same advice. Yes, my view of the sky is unobstructed etc

sdmayhew
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy S

Had no issues with my beloved note9 on GPS - S21ultra in exact same spot  in car.  Loses connection all the time. Have to put phone on dash face up or it will disconnect. Going to try -turn off battery optimization- as it was on for GPS maps. Very annoying and not acceptable for $1000 plus phone

0 Likes
lakerstrong
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
Same problem here on s21 plus. Same car previously using s10 plus and zero issues, never a disconnect and I used the magnetic phone holder. S21 different story, keeps loosing signal every trip connected to android auto Google maps. This was never ever an issue with my S10.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
Same problem here. A bit disappointed given the price of the device...
0 Likes
mmart010
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Guys, check the Google maps app permissions, you might have set the GPS permission to allow only when using the app. Change that to always allow. My guess is, in android auto when you plug the phone in and the screen gets locked and turns off, so does the GPS, similar in other apps. Worked for me. Cheers

jimr_og
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

This didn't work for me.  Mine was set to "always allow" and it stopped working after the April 2022 updates.