Original topic:

S22 Ultra 256gb freezing and restarting

(Topic created on: 11-02-2022 06:30 PM)
SonnyTheMoney
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
I purchased a new S22 Ultra 256gb Aug 18. About 2 weeks ago I noticed it froze up and restarted on its own while I was scrolling on a web page. It seemed to be a random 1 time thing so I did not worry. Over the next weeks it is doing this more and more frequently. No single app or usage seems to be triggering the crash.it happens even when the phone is not being actively used. Can be sitting on my desk and it just restarts. Samsung members is detecting the improper restarts and I have sent dozens of logs as they request.

I did a full reset and restore but no change in the issues. Still freezing and restarts. I have submitted a help request via members but no response from Samsung.

Can anyone help or tell me if this is a known issue or what fix is available ? I have the latest available software installed.

Software update information • Current version: S908WVLS2AVHJ/S908WOYV2AVHJ/ S908WVLS2AVHJ • Security patch level: September 1, 2022
0 Likes
14 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Since you have already Factory Reset, submitted an error report to Samsung (good luck with getting a speedy response lol), I'd start with Wiping Cache AGAIN from Recovery & then Boot into Safe Mode and run the device in Safe Mode for at least the approximate amount of time where a Freeze Reboot would occur. 

It's not a known issue with your device, so I'm thinking that it's likely to be a 3rd party app causing the issue. 

You could also try Uninstalling ALL 3rd party apps, & then add them back, one by one to figure out what app is causing the issue. 

One other thing that you could try, Factory Reset, but DO NOT RESTORE ANYTHING! It's possible that you are restoring the issue. 

So if it still occurs after a Factory Reset & a CLEAN set up, then it's possible that it COULD be a hardware issue, but that is hopefully unlikely. 

My guess is that it's a conflict with an old app or a setting somewhere. 

ladyhawke
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
Mine is doing that now..it's happened 3 times now. Not any particular thing causing it.
0 Likes
Helenna
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, as suggested by RedDogRabbit you can try wipe cache partition and also perform safe mode.

Below are the steps to perform clear cache partition.

1.Turn off the unit.

2.Press and hold the volume up button and press and hold the on/off button. When the Android logo is displayed, release all keys ("Installing system update" is displayed before displaying the Android system recovery menu options).

3.Press the volume down key repeatedly to highlight "wipe cache partition".

4.Press the Power key to select. Press the Volume Down button to highlight "Yes" and press the Power button to select. When the wiping of the cache partition is completed, "Reboot System Now" is highlighted.

5.Press the Power button to reboot the unit.

Please reboot your device in safe mode and check if you are experiencing the issue. If you are not experiencing any issues in safe mode, then the issue could be due to any third party application you installed recently. To do this, you need to completely power off the phone. Then, power on the phone, and when the Samsung logo appears, press and hold down the Volume Down key. If done correctly, "Safe Mode" will display on the bottom left corner of the screen.

Even after performing the above steps, if the issue still persists kindly get the device examined by the service technician.

Please visit the link given below to know the nearest Samsung Authorized service center.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/service-center/

0 Likes
SonnyTheMoney
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
So assuming that I do everything that you are suggesting and suppose that my phone runs without problem in safe mode. Are you suggesting that I now own a phone that must be run in safe mode only unable to use any apps or are you saying it is up to me to figure out what app that is from the play store or samsung app store that does not work well with this Samsung device? All the logs I have submitted to Samsung without any feedback or resolution. The multiple requests for help that go ignored. Is this the Samsung way now? I am a longtime Samsung customer. I own multiple smartphones, watch, tablet, televisions, appliances and other assorted devices. I have been a fan for many years . At this point I am thinking I have put my faith and money into a company that does not care. Even this forum,while helpful and useful seems to be another way Samsung washes its hands on customers and says "You guys help each other, we don't care enough to respond"
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

"Are you suggesting that I now own a phone that must be run in safe mode only unable to use any apps",

Hardly, I haven't personally experienced any issues with any of my apps. I am only offering possible explanations & solutions for your device's issues. 

"it is up to me to figure out what app that is from the play store or samsung app store that does not work well with this Samsung device"

It's not up to others here to figure out what apps, if any are causing your issue. However we will certainly try to help, but we are not paid Samsung employees. 

"The multiple requests for help that go ignored. Is this the Samsung way now"

Samsung's Customer service is not the reason to buy their products. 

"At this point I am thinking I have put my faith and money into a company that does not care" 

I don't know if it's because they don't care, or if they just don't have the knowledge or resources to actually do much more than cut 'n paste answers, often without actually even understanding the question. Samsung is not unique in this regard. 

I am quite confident that some of Members here are substantially more knowledgeable than most of Samsung Canada's Support people. 

"Even this forum,while helpful and useful seems to be another way Samsung washes its hands on customers and says "You guys help each other, we don't care enough to respond"

It certainly seems to be the case. 

If you try my suggestions, then at least you should be able to determine if it is a hardware issue, or if it's a conflict with apps or settings. 

I wasn't suggesting that you never restore all your apps & settings, just don't restore anything after the Factory Reset, to narrow down what the issue may be. 

I know what steps I would be taking if it was my device. I'm not giving any suggestions that I wouldn't follow myself. 

You could always just take your device to a Samsung Service center, and hope that the tech is knowledgeable enough to figure out what is going on. 

But, who knows, maybe tomorrow you'll get a reply from Samsung support, saying that they have reviewed your error reports, and they know exactly what the problem is? 

0 Likes
SonnyTheMoney
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
To be clear, my response was to the Moderator who I can only hope / assume is somehow associated directly with Samsung.
0 Likes
notsofunnyguy
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
I can confirm that this is not normal. I bought mine (same storage) on Aug 20 and I have never experienced an issue like that. Wiping cache might help
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Wiping Cache might help, but since they already did a Factory Reset, I'm pretty doubtful that it will do much.

It really can only be one of a couple of things, a conflict with apps / settings, or hopefully less likely, a hardware issue. 

SonnyTheMoney
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
If it is a conflict with an app, wouldn't that show on all the logs I have been submitting to Samsung? These issues were not present with my previous phone (Note 9) which had all the same apps. And as I stated the freeze / crash / restarts are not happening with the same apps or even when being used at all. Shouldn't all apps from the official Google play or samsung app store be compatible with this phone? If an app is causing the crashing why is it not detailed to me? I would be happy if it was an app,easy fix remove it and find a similar app. Samsung seems to be not responding to my service requests. Disappointing really.
0 Likes