Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S23 ultra battery drain issue

(Topic created on: 06-05-2023 10:03 PM)
Dominict
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
I just want to get an opinion on whether from100% to 67% (1h51mins SoT) for new s23ultra is normal. I had playstore downloading apps in background while i left smart switch running simultaneously, via wireless method.
DISCLAIMER: The moment i had the phone, i switched to low power consumption settings: Light mode, Dark mode, 5G off, Ultrabandwith off, Nearby device scanning off; and left it at FHD resolution(default).

This is the long story for those interested. I had only about 8-9hrs of battery life on S23 ultra even after tweaking to the settings mentioned above. My usual routine is 1-2hrs streaming at 1080p, and about 1.5h gaming. The rest of time is on Instagram/whatsapp/Others.
Thus i sent to samsung service Centre to get it repaired. They couldnt detect the issue and decided to replace the CPU and motherboard. When i went back home, i did the same thing with settings and it was still the same battery life after a week of letting the battery "Learn". So i asked samsung for a replacement phone and they said based on their monitoring it is normal battery life. But im hearing other people say they play games with maxed out settings (Higher battery consumption) and still get about 8-9hrs of life. Whereas I only play 2hrs at most for games.. So im confused if its just an issue with my handset, or what else could be the issue?
Btw I have "Rainpaper" as a background wallpaper app, but that should be about it.
0 Likes
17 Comments
jamesbob
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
looks fine actually.. instagram and social media took up a lot of battery consumption. and is your rainpaper wallpaper a moving wallpaper?

do you have AOD on too?
0 Likes
Dominict
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Hi, i do not have AOD because the battery life is already short imo. Yeap the rainpaper is a moving wallpaper. But i dont think this single feature is the cause of the issue. So in your opinion, 8-9hrs is a normal battery life? Because i really expected more from the s23 ultra..
0 Likes
jamesbob
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
when you say 8 to 9 hours? how is your usage like? apps wise as well?
0 Likes
Dominict
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
1-2hrs gaming mobile legends, 1.5h streaming, the rest is just whatsapp, insta, reddit, web.
0 Likes
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
Hi, just to check whether ur 8 to 9 hours is SOT or in total including screen off time?
0 Likes
Dominict
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
SOT. But its not heavy usage, so shouldnt it be more like 10-11hrs of SOT?
0 Likes
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
Then tbh, it's still ok leh.. cos gaming alone drains a lot of battery, especially when u use about 1 to 2 hours.. I am assuming at least 15% to 20% per hour of draining. Same for video streaming, as it constantly uses network (WiFi/Mobile data). About 15% per hour.

For my Z Fold 3, the SOT is worse haha.. about 3 to 4 hours per full charge.. no gaming.. lightweight to moderate usage.. YouTube (max resolution), insta, FB, WhatsApp, Web browsing, financial apps..

So, in my opinion, I still think it's ok.. and u don't have to set to FHD resolution to save battery.. won't make a difference.

So I am guessing at the end of ur 2 hour gaming + 1.5hrs of video streaming, ur battery is left with 45%, from 100%?
0 Likes
Dominict
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
uhm i dont usually game more than 1.5h, but i have noticed per 30mins of gaming it drops about 5-8% battery depending on the game.. I guess its ok? wow, but im surprised to hear your fold depletes in only 4hrs.. Im not in the worst spot then.. haha

And i mainly use data for the whole day, only in the evening when im home then i switch to wifi. Perhaps data is the underlying reason of the faster battery usage..
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
Yes.. it's pretty normal for 30 mins of gaming to drain 5 to 8%, since ur processor is using a lot of power to ensure smooth experience and when ur battery is not at its cool (not cold ah haha) temperature, it drains faster than usual.

And u mentioned that u are using mobile data.. yes correct mobile data drains much more battery than Wi-Fi. Reason being is that ur phone is constantly searching for a strong connection, while u are on mobile data and the connection is between ur device and the satellite in space. As compared to Wi-Fi, where the signal is much stronger and ur phone won't need to keep searching for a strong connection.

Yup, my Z Fold 3's battery is not optimised for a day usage.. only ½ day or max ¾ day. I need to charge twice a day if I use it moderately.

So I would suggest using wifi as far as possible to save battery. And keeping ur battery as cool as 30°C is the best optimal temperature. Try to keep ur battery between 30 and 80% most of the time. It's the ideal range for lithium ion batteries. It's ok to charge ur phone frequently, as long as ur battery is at the ideal temperature.