Original topic:

Samsung Galaxy S20 5G: edge lighting disabling notifications

(Topic created on: 09-08-2020 09:39 AM)
Members_ecLsjgH
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

Bought a new Samsung Galaxy S20 5G on Saturday. By default edge lighting was already enabled for text messages, I also added WhatsApp to also have this super cool feature. Edge lighting and notifications were working perfectly fine. Woke up yesterday morning, and didn't receive a single email/message/sports/etc notification (which is very strange to not have at least 1 of these waking up). Opened these apps and realized there was new content I should have received notifications from. Factory reset the phone, re-installed everything, and then WhatsApp was the only app I wasn't getting notifications from in the notifications bar. Turning off edge lighting after only WhatsApp wasn't working did nothing to resolve the issue. To add, notifications were never turned off, by me or via a glitch, at any point whatsoever. Factory reset AGAIN, turned off edge lighting, re-installed my apps in segments and texted/emailed/WhatsApped from a family member's phone to try and identify if a specific app was the issue, but at the end of it, all my notifications are now coming in the issue points directly at edge lighting, which **bleep** because it seems like such a cool feature to have. If this was a third party app that was causing the issue, then I would understand and be able to justify why it could/would cause issues. The fact that this came directly from Samsung, AND it was already installed on the device, an issue like this is completely unacceptable for a phone that is $1,320 CAD; not to mention this phone has been out for around 6 months. Fix it now. 

0 Likes
2 Comments
h0h0h0
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
you forgot to say please!!!!!
0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy S

Hi  Members_ecLsjgH, Please tap the Power mode icon to turn off Power saving mode. This could be preventing notifications from displaying. And to know if there is any 3rd party application causing the issue, you can reboot and check the device in safe mode.

To enter Safe mode :
1-Turn the device off by holding the Power button until the option to Power Off appears on the screen. Tap Power off .
2-Press and Hold the Power and the Volume Down buttons at the same time, to turn the device on.
3-When you see the Samsung logo appear on the screen, you can let go of the Power button while the device boots up. Make sure to keep holding the Volume Down button.
4-You will now be able to see Safe Mode down the near the bottom left of the screen.

To exit safe mode :
There are 3 different ways to exit Safe Mode - all of them require the device to restart completely.
1-Hold Volume Down and Power for at least 5 seconds to force the device to restart.
2-Hold the Power button on the right hand side and select Restart on the screen.
3-Swipe down from the top of the screen to access the Notification panel. Select the notification Safe Mode is on and tap Turn Off on the prompt to restart the device.

0 Likes