Original topic:

Samsung Galaxy S20 FE WiFi Disconnects

(Topic created on: 06-26-2022 04:06 PM)
CrysO
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

After the last update last month, my Galaxy S20 FE has had difficulty staying connected to WiFi -- this happens both at work and at home, so it's not the router. And it worked fine prior to the update. I have tried all recommended things except a factory reset because, let's face it, that's a nuclear option and incredibly annoying and time consuming -- And, frankly, I shouldn't have to do that to have a functioning phone after an update. 

The problem is that I'm now using an incredible amount of mobile data and will hit my plan's cap likely. I've read of similar problems with the Galaxy S20 phones doing this. Does Samsung have something in the works to push an update to fix this issue? 

Are there any other things that work apart from resetting the network settings, forgetting networks, etc. I've tried those. Several times. Again, it happens in multiple places, so it's not the router. It's my phone. Other devices are not doing this. Is my ONLY option now a factory reset? 

5 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

[How is the speed on Cellular Data? Asking for another member here.] 

My S20 Ultra has no issues with connecting with any WiFi network BTW.

Since you already tried resetting network connections, you could try a couple of other things.

Boot into Recovery & Wipe Cache.

Boot into Safe Mode & run it like that for a few hours & see if you still have issues connecting & STAYING connected with WiFi Networks. 

0 Likes
Axton
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, You can assign an IP address to your device using the network information from your PC. Make sure you are using a PC that is connected to the same network as your phone.
1.To find your mobile device IP address, navigate to and open Settings. Tap About phone, and then tap Status. The IP address will be listed as a set of four numbers under IP address.
2.Next, you will need to find your network information. The easiest way to retrieve the information about the Gateway address, etc. is using a PC already connected to the AP/Router.

Note that you will not be able to use the same IP address that is assigned to the PC.
Change the last number of the IP address to something that is not already in use.
Many routes leave 200 undefined and 250 unassigned for this reason.

3.Click Start, type "CMD" into the search bar, and then press Enter. Type "ipconfig/all" into the black box, and then press Enter. The IP address, Gateway, and DNS settings will be displayed.

Please write down all of these numbers because they will be needed when you configure the IP settings on your device.

Now you can use this information to assign a static IP to your phone.
On your mobile device, navigate to and open Settings. Tap Connections, and then tap Wi-Fi. Tap the network you want to connect to.

If the network has already been configured, tap Forget, and then reconnect the network using the below steps.
If needed, enter the network password. Then, tap Show advanced options. Tap the IP settings drop-down menu, and then tap Static. Tap the IP address and enter the new IP address. Tap Gateway and enter the Gateway address from your PC. Tap Network prefix length and then enter the appropriate info in the CIDR notation. Most people will encounter these IP ranges on their home wireless routers:
◦If the IP address starts with 192.168, enter 24
◦If the IP address starts with 10.0, enter 8
◦If the IP address starts with 172.16, enter 12
◦For anything else, consult the settings in your router configuration.

5.Tap DNS1, and then enter the Preferred DNS you want the device to use. Tap DNS2, enter the Alternate DNS you want the device to use, and then tap Connect. If Connect is grayed out, the information you entered has an error. Double check your entries.

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Thing is that you shouldn't have to use a static ip to use WiFi. 

Normally static ips are used by businesses. 

My WiFi just automatically connects & stays connected when I'm at home, or if I go to "trusted" places like Tim Hornton's, and I do use Samsung's Secure WiFi. 

Bumpa57
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
This same issue has happened to me also. I used up an amazing amount of data. It all happened after the last update on August 6th. Not a happy customer right now.
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Try going to Settings > General Management & Reset Network Settings. Reboot.

See if that helps. 

0 Likes