Original topic:

Samsung needs to improve their consistency

(Topic created on: 05-08-2023 01:48 AM)
qwer123
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy S
In region like Canada the s23 ultra is disappointing its getting updates late like I got the feb security patch on the 24ᵗʰ and no march and April on the 12ᵗʰ even my s21 ultra was getting updates quicker like it got the jan update on mid way and considering that was a 2 year old flagship at that point and for a new phone like s23 ultra that is not a good sign one ui 5.1 has been buggy and I feel like they should push out 2 security update every month since new phone is filled with alot of stupid bugs, like the drag and drop features on smart select acts ups 90% of the time and though s23 ultra has improved battery life one ui 5.1 has battery drain issue, I refuse to lower my brightness and refresh rate and all the goodies, I should be getting 10-12 hours of screen on time even when abusing the device because it's a flagship and they really need to get more consistent to make the battery life as good as a 13PM the 14PM has okay battery life do its not that impressive it beats the iPhone 14 PM still worse standby time if they can make it as good as the iPhone 13 PM than I'd be impressed, the screen diming issues and the camera needs more updates because when a new phone comes out large part of bugs are in the camera app where things don't look as accurate and maybe push out an update for camera where we can choose between samsungs over saturated look or more true to life because in certain shots samsung over brights your photos way to much even on a blind test I can tell shots from iPhone vs Samsung its a noticeable difference, I like over saturated but Samsung over does it too much please fix this issue with an update. 
6 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Security Patch OTAs & "Bug Fixes" are two different things.

All OEMs running Android, have 90 days from Google's release of it's security bulletins, to release the Security Patch Updates, as per the agreement with Google.

Samsung's "Bug Fixes", are entirely Samsung's responsibility, and when there are some issues, it isn't always a simple task to correct them.

First issues have to be identified, be able to be reproduced & then the solution needs to be found & coded. 

Rather than Samsung releasing multiple updates for the same device, it kind of makes sense for them to delay Security Patch Updates, so they can include any other fixes in the same update. 

I get that when you spend, a "bucket load" of money on a new device, you would like to be able to expect, timely fixes & other updates on a regular basis. Unfortunately, this is not always possible, and I'm pretty sure that it's not for a lack of effort on Samsung's part.

It's "easier" to provide updates to older devices, as most issues have been resolved, and solutions for any new, or remaining issues can be often more predictably found, fixed & released.

On my S20 Ultra, I've been receiving the Monthly Security Patch OTAs quite regularly, but then as I mentioned,, my device does not have any issues that require correcting. So all Samsung needs to do is provide the Update which addresses Google's security bulletins. 

qwer123
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Even when the s20 ultra or s21 ultra came out fresh it was regularly getting updates but what's weird is the s23 ultra came out with the Jan update while being release on feb since it came out on the 1ˢᵗ Feb it should've been in its latest updates it's crazy to think that the device launches with an older security update
djvn
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Older devices mostly get security updates only. Since s23 is brand new there may be bug fix and new features as well comes with updates. So they may be taking longer time to test it. Instead of giving multiple updates in month they prefer to give a big update like last time.
0 Likes
qwer123
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
When the s20 ultra and s21 ultea were new I rmr getting updates no later than first 4-9 days every month during first year than second year I've has 20 days delay the s22 ultra was getting updates much faster last year so I don't know why it's different this year
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

I don't recall my S20 Ultra ever receiving Security Patch OTAs within the first week of the month, ever! 

0 Likes
qwer123
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Even when it first came out it was more consistent
0 Likes