Original topic:

Samsung Pay in Korea

(Topic created on: 06-06-2018 09:56 AM)
진시형
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy S
Hey everyone,
Just came back from a trip to Korea and I have to say Samsung pay felt so easy to use. Never got any pushback from anyone 'cause of MST, actually cashiers would just take my phone and do it themselves, as usually the mag reader is on their end of the terminal in Korea.

Only odd thing is that the transactions once posted in my transaction history appeared in Latin characters, instead of Hangul... Kinda makes things confusing.. My phone was set to Korean as well, and my korean friends who also use Samsung pay have their purhcases post in in Hangul... so I find it strange it wouldn't do it for me? Could this be a bank issuer thing?
The translations are off a bit.
Here is a screenshot.

Other than the fact I wasn't able to use T-money on my phone, Samsung pay was very convenient. Never had to use plastic or cash in Korea during my trip. ^.^886e4252-a0ec-418c-974d-4cc450353d47.png
6 Comments
Galaxy S
Well in the "home" of Samsung I'd certainly hope that it would work well 😉🐧
0 Likes
RichMan1
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Here at a Chinese restaurant, there was a old lady who once grabbed my phone when I wanted to pay using Samsung Pay as pay terminal was on the other end, I got pissed and paid by cash instead as I care about respecting personal property and transparency a lot. Didn't know it is a norm in Korea.
0 Likes
진시형
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
It is a norm... and they are being transparent about the amount being billed. It appears on the cash register. and after samsung pay goes through. In Korea you have to sign on the digital pad and choose if you wish to be billed in Krw or cad.. was cheaper to be billed in krw for me. It is just how its done... the mag reader is embedded on the side of their screen monitor so its easier to for the cashier to do it. otherwise you would have to step on their end of the counter...
0 Likes
sirdre
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Are South Korean as nice as Japanese? Which city is do you recommend going for a first visit and area of that city?
0 Likes
Galaxy S
@sirdre Everyone is nice given the opportunity - prejudging any nationality or culture etc SHOULD be a non starter 😉
Moderator_
Options
Galaxy S
Hey @진시형, thanks a lot for your reviews on Samsung Pay!

- Wonchul
0 Likes