Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Samsung S9 Unlocked stuck at Android 8 - Feb 2018 security patch

(Topic created on: 12-18-2019 11:49 AM)
socks123
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S

I have an unlocked S9 that I bought directly from Samsung Canada in Aug, 2018. Since then I have receved no software update on my phone. I am using Freedom mobile Sim card on my phone.

The Security patch is dated Feb 1, 2018. Android version is 8.0.0.  Here are more details about my phone:

Model: SM-G960W

Baseband version: G960WVLU1ARC1

Here is what I have tried so far:

Tried manually downloaing updates through settings: It says "The latest updates have already been installed".

Tried connecting through Smart switch on my laptop. It says the same thing.

Called Samsung customer service the rep said the updates have to come through Feedom mobile and samsung has nothing to do with updates (even though it is a samsung unlocked device)

Called Freedom mobile, and they said contact samsung.

Not sure what else to do. I really do not want to reset my phone data to get update.

Can anyone help? 

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Download the latest SM-G960W firmware for your device using SamFirm or Frija with your CSC set as GLW. Then flash it using Odin. Would you like me to provide you with the necessary resources?

View solution in context

10 Comments
Solution
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Download the latest SM-G960W firmware for your device using SamFirm or Frija with your CSC set as GLW. Then flash it using Odin. Would you like me to provide you with the necessary resources?
socks123
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Will that delete my apps and data? I prefer not to reset my phone.

0 Likes
Marvisiyahen
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

I have the same problem and my phone model is SM-G965U while my software version is G965USQU3ARG2. It won't  update to a newer software update, will this method also work for me and do I need to use a laptop? 

0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
No it won't, don't worry

(But make sure to flash HOME_CSC)
0 Likes
socks123
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Is Home_CSC an option in Odin?

I downloaded Frija and it shows me below as latest info:

G960WVLS7CSJ6/G960WOYV7CSJ6/G960WVLS7CSJ6

SM-G960W_1_20191104180440_hff0mfl7a0_fac.zip.enc4

Pie(Android 9)

0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
That's the latest firmware.

When you'll download the firmware, then unzip it, you will have 5 files. One is called HOME_CSC. You must select this one when you click on CSC in Odin, instead of the file called CSC.
socks123
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Thanks this worked. My OS is now updated

CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Glad to hear it! Enjoy your new OS and hopefully you'll get updates normally now.
vape
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
@Jeremy, should give you a gold star. I'm to lazy to really to do as much as you do for the community..

Maybe you should try and get in with tech support with Samsung? Mind you couldn't be as helpful as you are now.