(Topic created on: 04-20-2019 08:29 AM)
awesomeness
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy S
So, these are the steps I've come up with for rooting my S7: 

*Enable OEM Unlock in Developer Options*

*When asked to format data, and select "YES"*

1.) Install: Samsung USB Drivers, TWRP img.tar, Odin 3.13.3 on computer. (I have links) 

2.) Install Magisk Zip and Magisk Manager to SD Card of phone (I have link) 

3.) Back up phone to Google Cloud, back up photos, calls, SMS. 

4.) Boot phone into download mode, and click volume up to to continue.

5.) Go into Odin settings and uncheck "auto reboot", insert TWRP img.tar in AP slot in Odin, then connect USB to phone. Should see first box in Odin turn blue after hitting start, will flash TWRP and box will turn green and say "PASS" when done. Unplug cable. 

6.) If phone tries to reboot into download mode, cancel with volume button (down) Hold power + home + volume down, and QUICKLY hit volume UP when phone vibrates. Should boot into TWRP recovery. 

7.) After phone restarts, download Titanium Backup app, store in SD card, grant root permission, and select what to back up (new user apps and newer versions?) 

8.) Download custom ROM (I have link) to SD Card. 

I'm lost as of that step, but I know I have to flash the custom ROM. How do I do that? (Using Pie ROM from Ivan on XDA) and, do I need to flash Gapps? If so, how? I'm sorry, I did watch TONS of videos but none of them actually had written instructions, or people talking, and I was getting confused going thru all the comments in my post! Lol

Thank you shaggy!!!! I will be much more educated after this whole experience 😂 I'm gonna start at around 3 tomorrow. 
0 Likes
11 Comments
sirdre
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Hmmm... Seems ok but what works is "try and error". 🤖 @Shaggyskunk1 should be able to give you a lesson for sure. 😁
Galaxy S
You've got the right idea more or less.
I want you to Download the Stock Samsung Firmware (What is currently running on your phone) for your Galaxy S7 to your computer BEFORE you do anything else with your phone - In the unlikely event that something goes wrong - You need to be able to Flash the Stock Samsung Firmware & get back to where you are currently!!

You can Download it from sammobile.com or you can use Samfirm or what I use - Frija Link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dht7DCtcKFgKvjcVu1yEY5I5X9G1fZFU/view?usp=drivesdk

2) You just Download the Magisk zip & Magisk Manager apk to your external sd card (you can't install them until you have Flashed & Installed TWRP).

7) Not yet - The VERY FIRST thing to do after you have TWRP installed is to Boot into TWRP Recovery and make a Backup (Nandroid) of your device - See Screen shot for what to select (NOTE - EFS is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT - The EFS is your device's IMEI!!) See the first screen shot.

You need to download Gapps to the external sd card as well as the Custom Rom (The ONLY time you don't need to Flash Gapps with a Rom is if you are Flashing a Rooted Custom Stock Rom) With ANY AOSP Rom you HAVE to also Flash Gapps (Google Apps) - See the 2nd Screen shot for what Gapps package I download (Note that Version number of the Gapps package - 9 is for Pie & 8.0 & 8.1 are for Oreo based Roms) Open Gapps link

https://opengapps.org

You can Download Titanium Backup + Pro Key (optional - but it's WAY faster for restoring your apps & data with it!).

Once you have Backed up your device with TWRP and downloaded the Custom Rom & Gapps - You can Boot into TWRP Recovery - Go to the Wipe Screen (3rd screen shot) and Swipe to Factory Reset (I usually Swipe to Factory Reset twice) - Next Click on the Advanced Tab and select the items in the 4th screen shot.
Next Go to the Install menu in TWRP & Select it - Now you have to navigate to the location where you have downloaded the Custom AOSP Rom to (You downloaded it to the external sd card right) Find the Rom zip & select it - Swipe to Install - It'll take a few seconds - Don't interrupt it - You'll see "success" in the upper left corner - Next select the Open Gapps zip & Swipe to Install & wait until you see "success" - Next select Magisk zip & Swipe to install (Note - You may have to install the Magisk Manager apk IF the Magisk zip fails to Flash & install the Magisk zip from the Magisk Manager AFTER you have Booted OR - You may have to Boot back into TWRP Recovery and Flash the Magisk zip) - When it's finished - I usually select Wipe Cache & Then Reboot to the New Android system installed on your device...
Again I strongly recommend you watch a number of YouTube videos on:
a) How to install TWRP on your Galaxy S7.
b) How to install a Custom AOSP Rom on your Samsung device

I have included the steps that I use to Backup my device & Flash Custom Roms - But it's up to you to read & understand the instructions & watch & understand the videos

Here's another link from xda on Flashing Custom Roms using TWRP - Some of the information may be out of date - But you'll get the general idea

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-custom-rom-android/

AGAIN - While this is not a complicated process - It does have RISKS - IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!!

Are you SURE that you understand & ACCEPT this responsibility and it's ENTIRELY YOUR decision to proceed - and you understand that I am in NO WAY Responsible for ANYTHING that happens to your device... Right?
awesomeness
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Yes. I understand. I'm positive I have a good understanding. So, to flash gapps, and the custom ROM, I HAVE to have my phone plugged into computer. Now it makes sense. You've done well, shaggy. Thank you VERY much.
0 Likes
awesomeness
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
By the way..... I believe you said you had installed Ivan's ROM before, do you happen to have any screenshots of what the icons look like?? Sorry last question
0 Likes
awesomeness
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Wait a sec- If I wipe my phone before installing custom ROM, that will get rid of all my apps, including Titanium backup, so how then will I back up data?
0 Likes
awesomeness
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Ok- wait. I just realized you said you don't need to. So, I think at this point I've figured it all out. Wish me luck...

Not responsible one 😉
0 Likes
awesomeness
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Ok, I've changed my mind on the OS. I did further research on the LineageOS version, and that really didn't seem like the one for me. So I found another one called Black Diamond that I'll do instead. Thing is, the apps look exactly the same as the actual Samsung Stock firmware of Pie, so my question is, do you happen to know if it is? I believe you said I didn't have to flash gapps if it's a modified version of the stock firmware.
0 Likes
awesomeness
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
0 Likes
Galaxy S
K - That's what is called a "port" which means that the Dev has taken the features from a different stock Samsung device - In this case - the Note 7 FE (Fan Edition) without the flaming battery lol - So tweaked & massaged Stock Samsung - So you do NOT need to Flash the Gapps as they are inc in the Build - The Download size of the zip might scare you - But don't be alarmed 🐧
0 Likes