Original topic:

Smart Switch phone update is taking too long

(Topic created on: 01-27-2023 10:47 AM)
Emmanue7
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S

Good day!

I've installed SmartSwitch on Windows 10 and was prompted to update the phone.  Unfortunately, it's taking sooooooooooooo long, more than 4 hours now and still shows the same status on Windows and the phone screen (see attached).  Is this normal and expected?  

2023_01_26 3_37 pm Office Lens.jpg

SmartSwitch software update in progress.jpg

Helpless,

Emmanue7

6 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy S
If you want better quality firmware get it over ota, instead I've tried not as good, my experience. There could be an issue not normal if I were you I would turn off phone in this mode, it will restart at this point, and show yellow triangle go to emergency software recovery I smart switch and link phone it fix and then you install that update you wanted or possibly fix then update again. There could be an error, if it is stuck I would cancel if I were you unplug cable the do emergency recovery shown above this is 2 options to repair phone from triangle shape.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy S
Possibly smartswitch can try downloading maybe the update if not do above
0 Likes
Emmanue7
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Thanks WilliamShaw ..... the phone and Smart Switch app still shows the same screen after eight hours ... The phone has been recently updated OTA so I was surprised that I was prompted for another update.  Anyway, I'm planning to leave it overnight and see if there are positive developments tomorrow.  in any case, would you have the link to the steps for the recovery?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy S
It's normal to have an ota update after another straight away as you might have not updated for a while, here's link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yXQUFrEWg4&ab_channel=TechnoGenuine unfortunately as I saw in video might loose data. It is not recommended but you can also get firmware file from Web and flash however phone not performance best what i do flash old firmware and update ota later not recommended you can look on Google how to
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy S
2nd way you can choose to loose no data
0 Likes
Emmanue7
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Thanks again WilliamShaw for keeping patient and your generous efforts in helping me sort this out.  I did further research and more prayers on this crisis.  And looks like my prayers were answered.  I don't know for certain but the multiple failures (I stopped counting after my 30th recovery attempt) could be related to the USB power supplied to the phone from the PC.  I only realized this after the phone didn't turn ON when I was to do my NTH attempt to do the Emergency Software Recovery.  So, for those planning to use the Smart Switch on their phone, I suggest being prepared with these:

1. Contrite and humble heart, acceptance that am broken and the one true Lord almighty has control of everything.  Remember that nobody is perfect even if you are Catholic like me.
  2. USB-C adapter with connectors for USB-C (to phone), USB-C (to power), USB-A or C (to Windows 10 PC)
  3. USB-C cable capable of fast charge and sync to connect the USB-C adapter to the charger
  4. USB-A or C cable capable of fast charge and sync to connect the USB-C adapter to the Windows 10 PC
  5. at least 5V and at least 2A phone charger
  6. genuine Windows 10 PC updated with the latest security and quality updates
  7. Smart Switch latest version downloaded from Samsung

Steps:

1. prayers for forgiveness, humility and strength to the one true Lord almighty
  2. disable USB and all power saving features on Windows 10 PC
  3. install and run Smart Switch (re-install USB drivers if necessary and then restart Windows 10 PC)
  4. follow Smart Switch instructions for Emergency Software Recovery; use the Code that was produced by Smart Switch after the initial update failure
  5. connect USB-C adapter to the phone, connect USB-C charger to adapter, connect USB-C adapter to Window 10 PC and make sure that the phone shows the 
  6. monitor the Emergency Software Recovery process; ensure that the phone screen doesn't turn OFF, the Windows 10 PC doesn't go into power saving mode and the charger remains turned ON
  7. give thanks to the one true Lord after the successful process

If the recovery failed for the NTH time, I would print the screenshots and bring with the phone to the Samsung support centre as evidence to prove that I have done everything as per Smart Switch's instructions.  The reason in the first place that I ran Smart Switch was to backup my phone and reset it.  Prior to this crisis, the phone was restarting involuntarily multiple times in a row.  No pattern.  It would suddenly restart even before I get a chance to unlock it after a restart.  Thus, after this recovery, I will hopefully be able to create a backup, update (if necessary) and reset it.  Troubleshooting the restarting issue included submission of multiple logs to Samsung Members support.  Samsung Members have provided the steps to enable and collect verbose logs.  Unfortunately, Samsung R&D (according to the Samsung Members agents) are unable to provide enough troubleshooting analysis.   They mentioned potential cause were 3rd-party apps and even the phone service provider.  Their last recommendation was to hand-over the phone to local Samsung support centre -- which in my experience would only re-flash or reset the phone.  Thus, I was planning to just do these myself.

So, will post another update later.

0 Likes