Original topic:

Software

(Topic created on: 01-13-2023 09:54 PM)
AlPal1
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
Hey guys. So i have the galaxy s21 ultra 5g and I am having issues with it. Something seems to be making it use up half of the RAM. I have the 256 gb + 12 gb of ram. Can someone please tell me how I could go about figuring out what is causing this issue? Also on top of that, when I put my phone into recovery mode to clear the phones cache, there's a code that is shown. It is [libfs_mgr] error updating for slot select. How can I fix that issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!   
0 Likes
9 Comments
RobertZ
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
Go into settings->developer options->memory and view what is using how much memory.
0 Likes
AlPal1
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Ok. Thanks.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

"Unused RAM, is wasted RAM" - Generally Accepted Truism. 

I wouldn't be remotely concerned about how much free RAM you have on an Android device.

Android has always been extremely efficient in it's RAM management. 

Having more, or less free RAM is virtually meaningless. 

Clearing RAM manually, only briefly increases the amount of free RAM, and serves no real purpose. If anything, you'll just be using the battery for nothing. 

OCCASIONALLY, you may have a misbehaving app, which MIGHT cause an increase in it's RAM usage, but that's definitely not typical. 

One of the purposes of RAM, is to keep currently being used apps in a "quick access state", which gives the user the real feeling of high performance. 

Clearing RAM, will just be used again to improve the performance of your device. 

Unless your device has lag, or other performance issues, just forget about RAM usage. 😊

0 Likes
AlPal1
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Hey, thanks for that detailed response. Now what about that code I am getting? Any suggestions for that?
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

You're referring to the "libfs_mgr", right?

That's likely just because the Recovery is checking for an external sd card, which your device does not have. It's not actually an error. 

Errors in Recovery are almost always in Red Text, just FYI, so if it wasn't in red text, don't worry about it.

It's perfectly normal / expected & intended that when you Boot a device into Recovery that it runs some system checks. 

It's not necessary for Samsung's Devs to use a recovery specifically for each different model. So you may see a brief bit of information, that is of no concern and nothing to do with any issues. 

0 Likes
AlPal1
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
@RedDogRabbit. Thanks. Yes, I am referring to that code. Has been there for a while now. Was just worried there was something wrong with the phone. But also I do notice if I don't do a restart on the phone at least once a day, it becomes laggy.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

If you are concerned about the performance of your device, then I'd suggest that you backup your device with Smart Switch and Factory Reset. 

I, along with other, ALWAYS Factory Reset after EVERY Android Version Update, and I have never, ever had any issues whatsoever following this routine. 

Why I Factory Reset:

Essentially because, While there's a script in every OTA that essentially wipes Cache. In Android version updates, the script SHOULD erase / wipe data that may be a conflict to the new OS.

It's not always 100% effective, and there's been plenty of posts over the years, where some people experienced issues, some almost unnoticeable, others more so.

Performing a Factory Reset, while shouldn't be required, has for me at least, resulted in never having any problems. 
It's a habit from testing Custom Roms & I think that it's served me well. 

0 Likes
Nylah
Options
Galaxy S

Thank you RedDogRabbit.

Hi, as suggested by RedDogRabbit, kindly back up and factory reset your device by following the steps in the given links.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/how-to-transfer-and-backup-data-using-smart-switc...

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-phone-perform-a-factory-reset/.

0 Likes
AlPal1
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
@Nylah thanks.
0 Likes