Original topic:

Telus 5G in Manitoba issues

(Topic created on: 06-02-2021 11:06 AM)
Linc
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy S
So, I've seen lots of complaint about this in the internet, our Samsung 5G phones are not connecting to Telus 5G network in Manitoba, both Winnipeg and Brandon.
Contacted Telus customer support, did some troubleshooting with them and then finding out that it is a Samsung issue.
Any thoughts? 
19 Comments
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
You're thinking about mmWave, which was not deployed in Canada. No mmWave bands are available and no Samsung device supports the necessary bands.
Galaxy S
Yup that's what I'm thinking. Thanks CH
Galaxy S
Not sure if this help. I found this from Telus forum. They said 200-300 mbps is normal. Here is the accepted solution from Telus forum. Do you have required plan? Also, the guy mention that you need to enable 5G from telus account?Screenshot_20210601-191304_Edge_45070.jpg
0 Likes
Linc
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
I am sure that the customer support rep i was talking to said that everything is set for my phone to have 5G which i would assume that goes for the sim card, the plan and the 5G activation.. i would try and talk to them again to clarify this..
0 Likes
Halston
Options
Galaxy S

Hey Linc,
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.
Please make sure that the device is updated to the latest version.
Go to Settings > Software update> Download and Install> Download the update(if the update is available).

If the problem persists, Could you please provide us the model of your Samsung device?
Go to Settings> About the phone> Model number.

Linc
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
My phone is always updated.. it's been a couple of months since i notice this issue, i just didn't pay much attention until now..
Just fyi, i am using Note 20 Ultra, and parents are using S20 FE, both have same issue.. some people in the internet have same issue using the S21..
0 Likes
Linc
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Model number is SM-N986W
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Don't worry, you're not missing on anything. 5G NSA brings nothing to the table. Furthermore, the N20U (which I also own) only supports 3 NR network bands officially, and more with DSS. In effect, you can't connect to much of 5G right now as more bands get deployed.
Samsung_rLjrhvA
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

I just found this thread.

Telus now shows 5G coverage across ALL of Winnipeg and yet my Telus S20+ cannot connect to 5G anywhere.

I was in Vancouver last year and I was able to use 5G just fine.

Telus' coverage map is a complete lie.

0 Likes
chippy83
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
This is a terribly long and old thread but manitoba doesn't use the same spectrum or aka wave length as other provinces apparently. I was talking to telus about it also and my s20 I get 5g in other cities out side of manitoba also which would make sense as the phones also accept different hertz ratings that the 5g network uses
0 Likes