Original topic:

True and complete hands free use

(Topic created on: 06-05-2022 07:17 AM)
Lexi98
Active Level 4
Options
Galaxy S
My mom has an S9.  She has limited to no use of her arthritic hands and can no longer use a stylus to answer incoming calls.  I want to set up hands free, voice activated calling so that she can talk to the phone and have it call or text without touching it.  Bixby is USELESS!  I set everything up so she can do that but Bixby still requires her to press a tiny button on the side to wake up the phone.  With all this "accessibility" technology, why is this so hard to do?  
7 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

I don't use Bixby at all, but you might be able to use Google Assistant to wake the phone, and use voice commands with the phone still locked.

These actions MAY be possible with Bixby Voice, but as I said I don't use it.

Screenshot_20220605_104515.jpg

Screenshot_20220605_104547.jpg

Screenshot_20220605_104600.jpg

Screenshot_20220605_104532.jpg

Lexi98
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
I tried a Google speaker to help, but i couldn't get it to work. I think I was trying to get it to make the calls through voice activation and Google was not compatible with T-Mobile? I really didn't want to use Bixby, because I find it so useless, but I had to try everything. I have an Alexa speaker right now so I can call her and she can answer by voice command, but she can't call me because of the same incompatibility issue. Maybe I can try again with Google. It can't hurt. Thanks for the suggestion!
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Well I know that with Google Mini, I can just say "Hey Google, call..".

Earbuds, I do have to touch one of the buds and say "Hey Google call... and answering just requires voice.

This is the Canadian Samsung Members Canada by the way. Not sure if you'll get other ideas in the US?

Google should be compatible with Tmo, don't think that it makes any difference what Carrier you are using. 

Lexi98
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
I'll have to try again. I did make a carrier change for her and I can't recall if I tried the google speaker before I did that or not. I appreciate the recommendation!
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Google doesn't care which Carrier, all that matters is if there's a Network connection, Cell or WiFi.

Hopefully you get it sorted out for your mom 🤞

Helenna
Options
Galaxy S

Hi Lexi98, you don’t need to press a button when you want to call Bixby on your Galaxy phone or tablet. You can do it hands-free with Voice wake-up.

Please follow the steps in the given link and keep us posted. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00080448/

0 Likes
Lexi98
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
I set up voice wake up in one of the early attempts and it would not work. I can take a look at the link, and try again, but I find Bixby is generally a disappointment.