Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Unlocked S10e from US not receiving OTA updates in Canada

(Topic created on: 05-21-2022 03:54 PM)
Riffamortis
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S

I purchased an unlocked S10e from Best Buy in Canada and it ended up being a US version of the phone (Samsung support says it's originally from AT&T). It currently has One UI 3.1, Android 11, and the December 1, 2021 patch - all of which appear to be outdated - but attempting a software update on the phone says the software is up to date and Smart Switch also says there's no update.

I've spoken to 8 or 9 Samsung agents but none of them have been able to provide a solution and my local Samsung store said they "won't even touch" my phone because it's from the US. I know people will say to flash the new firmware with Odin, but I'm using a mac and Odin seems to be Windows-only. Is there any way for me to get updates on my phone?

PókeDynamax
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
SM-G70u. I don't see firmware from at&t. Only model sm-970U1. Can go into software update and hit last update button and there is a link indicate recent update from your phone. Screenshot the link. optional if you want to.
0 Likes
Riffamortis
Active Level 3
Galaxy S

I'm in the process of installing Windows. Are you saying I shouldn't bother now?

Screenshot_20220521-181927_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Get a US Carrier's SIM. 

It'd be a lot easier, cheaper & faster to borrow a windows computer & Flash the Canadian CSC with Odin, but you will have to use Patched Odin to Flash the Canadian CSC on your US device.

If you purchased the device from BestBuy in Canada, they should have ABSOLUTELY informed you that it was a US model.

If you purchased it new from BestBuy in Canada, I would demand that they replace / refund the device / purchase.

I know that you can purchase US devices from Amazon Canada, but it clearly shows that it has a US model number. 

Riffamortis
Active Level 3
Galaxy S

I'd seen the US SIM suggestion and specifically asked a Samsung rep about it and he said it wouldn't work unless I was actually connected to their network in the US.

The phone was purchased on BestBuy.ca but it was from a marketplace seller with this disclaimer: Some products sold may be international versions of this device and will be fully compatible with Canada’s mobile networks and seller-provided warranty.

There was no mention of issues receiving updates, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased it.

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Yeah the SIM would have to be actually active with a US Carrier, which is why I was saying that it would be cheaper to borrow a windows computer. 

Effectively, if you Flash the full Canadian Firmware AND you HAVE to use Patched Odin, otherwise the Flash will FAIL, (including the Canadian CSC), you would change the device from US to Canadian & should receive any eligible future updates through your Canadian Carrier..depending on whether the OTA checks the device's IMEI or not? 

Riffamortis
Active Level 3
Galaxy S

So going through the whole process could still potentially not work? I don't actually have any experience with Odin (I've just heard of it from looking into ways to fix this), so if this may not work, it seems like it may be better to not bother.

0 Likes
Solution
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Flashing your device with Odin will ABSOLUTELY work! 

When I had my S10+ I was Flashing the US Betas on my Canadian S10+

If there's a One UI version update available for your device (Canadian or US) It will work 100%!!!

The only difference between Flashing the Canadian Firmware & the US Firmware is which version of Odin you need to use.

To Flash the US Firmware on your US device, you just need the regular version of Odin.

If you want to Flash the Canadian Firmware on your US device, then you have to use Patched Odin.

The process is identical for both. 

Download the latest correct firmware to your computer. 

Download the the appropriate version of Odin to your computer.

Download Samsung's USB Drivers to your computer. 

Extract the files from the downloaded Firmware & then Open Odin.

Put the BL file in the BL slot in Odin.

Power Off your device & Boot into Download Mode & connect to your computer.

Click on "Start" in Odin & wait for the green "pass" to appear in the box in Odin on your computer screen.

Repeat for:

CP

AP

CSC

You'll likely be FORCED to Factory Reset. 

So have a recent backup of your device. 

Riffamortis
Active Level 3
Galaxy S

Ok, awesome. Will I continue to not get updates if I stick with a US firmware? Will changing to a Canadian firmware fix that problem?

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

US Firmware & no you will not get any Updates. 

Canadian Firmware.. I *THINK* that you would get updates from your Canadian Carrier. I can't remember if the OTA (over the air) update checks the device's IMEI or not.

You can download the regular version of Odin from sammobile.com and it is safe!

If you need the Patched version of Odin (or the regular version) I can send you a link to my Drive account to download.

If you want to download the firmware, you can download either from Sammobile.com, but unless you pay for a "Pro" account (or whatever they call it now, it is VERY slow to download the Firmware.

I use a Windows app called Frija, it's from an XDA Developer who I know AND trust. It's 10x faster & it's free.

Let me know if you need / want it too. 

Riffamortis
Active Level 3
Galaxy S

You've been a massive help! I'll give this a shot and try to get the Canadian firmware on (whichever way is most foolproof is probably best though).