Original topic:

USB Port Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 512 GB Problem

(Topic created on: 08-03-2022 03:32 PM)
OmarAlWardian
Active Level 5
Options
Galaxy S
Good morning, I am not sure if anyone is having the same problem, but my S21 Ultra is just over 15 months old, and the USB-C port is no longer recognizing a charging cable, period. 

With that said, I am meticulously careful with my devices, always watching out for drops and for problems in the port. My USB port is totally clean, I have tried three or four charging bricks as well as about a dozen cables.

Occasionally when the cord is in the port, it is picked up from the system as a charger, then immediately disconnects. 

Wireless charging works, fast wireless charging also works, however the port cannot be used for charging or for Android auto or for any sort of transferring.

I have already done what will be recommended by the moderator, gone out and bought a brand new Samsung OEM charger and cable, reset the phone, as well as factory reset the device. It does not solve the problem, the port itself shows no sign of corrosion, and does not even have a single fiber of lint in it. 

Is anyone else out there having a similar problem? The device was never dropped, nor was it in a manner where the cord would be bent into the port. 

I have had Samsung an S3, S6, S8, S10 Plus, and S21 Ultra, and never had a similar problem before. So incredibly frustrating because I am extremely cautious with the device. 
12 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Weird, don't see any of your posts regarding issues with the USB Charging port on your device, other than this one.

A Samsung Moderator suggested that you buy a new charging block & USB cable?

Regardless, have you opened the Samsung Members app & Click on Support > Diagnostics & View Tests, and run the test for Cable Charging?

This test should give you some idea as to whether there is a hardware issue with the charging port or not.

Depending on the results of the test, you may want to visit a Samsung Service center to get a tech to have a look at your device.

Here's a link to locate a Samsung Service center. 

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/service-center/

OmarAlWardian
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
"Weird, don't see any of your posts regarding issues with the USB Charging port on your device, other than this one."

That's correct. You don't see any additional posts regarding a USB port because I didn't make one. So I don't know where that comes into the realm of relevancy. 😆
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Yes, sorry I misread part of your post...

"I have already done what will be recommended by the moderator, gone out and bought a brand new Samsung OEM charger and cable, reset the phone, as well as factory reset the device. It does not solve the problem, the port itself shows no sign of corrosion, and does not even have a single fiber of lint in it".

I read this as you HAD been advised by a Moderator, not that you anticipated that you would have been advised to.

My error aside, have you opened the Samsung Members app & run the Diagnostics for the charging port? 

OmarAlWardian
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Yes. Screenshot_20220803-191204_Samsung Members_1000015778_1659564724.jpg
Helenna
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, we suggest you to get the device examined by the service technician to get it fixed. To know the nearest service center, please visit the link provided by RedDogRabbit.

0 Likes
Statler
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Same issue here since the first day. It randomly accepts it as charging- or data port. It is really wobbly. Tried out everything and only use Samsung-cables.

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Did you try Opening the Samsung Members app Click on Support & Diagnostics & View Tests then run the Diagnostics for the USB Charging port?

If you get any error, such as the one posted by the OP, then you may want to visit a Samsung Service center.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/service-center/

You could also try to Factory Reset, but if it's a hardware issue, then a Factory Reset won't fix the problem. 

Here are the instructions for both Wiping Cache & a Factory Reset. 

Power of your device & Wait a few seconds.

Press & HOLD the Power + Volume UP buttons, until you feel the device vibrate. Release BOTH buttons & wait a couple of seconds until you see the Recovery Menu.

Use the Volume button to Scroll down to Wipe Cache & Select with the Power button.

Wait a few seconds until the Recovery Menu Defaults to "Restart Now" & Select with the Power Button. 

Your device will Reboot.

Factory Reset is the same as above, but instead of Selecting Wipe Cache, you Select Wipe Data Factory Reset. 

⚠️⚠️⚠️

BEFORE you Factory Reset, BACKUP your device with Smart Switch. 

When your device Boots up, it will be to the Welcome screen, same as when you first received your device as new.

⚠️You'll need to know your passwords etc, So write them down if you need to⚠️

Honeybun51
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

I have exactly the same problem as you and like you I am VERY careful with my phone. I am know trying to decide if I should buy another brand!

0 Likes
Members_gvHMm3H
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

I have the same problem. Have tried multiple cables and it won't charge or transfer data. Just tried to connect a memory stick (USB C) and it only recognises if I push / hold it into the port. Slightest bump and it won't recognise it.  Clearly there is a problem with the port itself. The same cables and memory stick work well with my (older) tablet.

I have also been very careful with my device. Can only use a charging pad now to keep it going. Very disappointed.