Original topic:

What is going on with my phone's usb port!?

(Topic created on: 01-29-2020 07:39 PM)
DazzlingTap2
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S
Samsung S10+ Snapdragon, Fido
I'm not able to fast charge my phone, or connect to my computer via a cable or use the usb otg accessory. I don't even know what is going on or what's broken.

Here is how it all went down.
On January 27th, I went out with friends. It was raining on that day and I have my phone in my pocket. I think the charging port might've gotten wet. Because while I was waiting for the bus, and tried to connect my phone to the powerbank. It gave me a moisture warning. 
Great.... But fortunately I have a anker wireless charging stand in my backpack, I knew this would come in handy. Although wireless charging is painfully slow, it did get my phone from 10% - 13%.
Then I was in the bus for a while, the bus has ac on so its warm and dry. I decided to plug my phone into the bus with a cable. And it works, so I guess the moisture has been dried and charging resumed normally.
However when I got home, connected it to the samsung official fast wall charger. It only charges at normal speed, not fast charging. I didn't worry to much about it.
Next day after school, I tried to troubleshoot the fast charging problem, more problems came up. I tried connecting my phone to my PC, now it kept  connecting and disconnecting rapidly. Windows won't recognize the phone in files. 
So my usb c port must be broken. It indeed is, it wouldn't even recognize to offical samsung otg adapter or the usb hub I use for samsung dex. Nothing happens.
I did not have much time to dig deeper into this cuz I go to school and part time job. I did try the usual troubleshooting steps, reboot, safe mode, clear usbsettings cache, restart computer and check my accessories (which works). Nothing solves the problem.

To summarize, here's what happened and what I have trouble with.
- phone is not fast charging 
- phone won't connect to computer (constant connecting and disconnecting)
- usb otg just refuse to work 
I don't even know what to search up cuz so many things are wrong, and the average Joe could probably live with the issues I mentioned above.

I suspect this is a software issue. I previously had issues with the usbc otg port where it would only fast charge my phone or connect to my pc but won't detect any usb accessories or hdmi. When it stopped working, I just waited overnight and the next day everything works again. This could also be a hardware issue with water damage. But when I plugged in any cables I did not get any moisture warnings.

The only thing left is to factory reset my phone. But this is very time consuming. 

Based on the issues I have, does this sound like a software issue that can be fixed with factory reset? Or is is something else. If you have experience with Samsung phones or its usb connectivity, please share your tips and opinions to help me out.
8 Comments
seobro
Active Level 6
Galaxy S

Huh. The same thing is happening to my mom's S9 Plus right now. She's quite clumsy with her phone and left it in a wet bag for a fair while - exact same story as yours. Came back to charge afterwards, first the fast charging wouldn't work, then it stopped charging through wired charging altogether.

Thankfully we had warranty (extended) on it so we've since filed a claim, paid a deductible and am now waiting to reset the phone to factory settings and ship it off to Samsung.

I'm no expert in the electronics field - and I'm sure others in this thread could explain the science much better than I can, but essentially water and electricity are still a terrible combination, no matter how "water-resistant" a phone is. Your electronics are always susceptible to damage by moisture/water regardless of an IP rating, and it sounds like to me your phone was caught on the short end of the stick. Your phone sounds like it's suffered some internal water damage.

It looks like you're going to have to get it fixed, if not at the very least checked by a professional. 

0 Likes
thejoker1
Active Level 7
Galaxy S

This happened to my s10 when i had one before switching to apple! What actually fixed it was factory resetting it believe it or not it actually worked again

0 Likes
mytech
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
Is not software,
Is rainware 🤣
@least throw it in a bag of rice 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️
0 Likes
Dawnbrightsu
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
did you connect it when the moisture message was still on at any point? cuz that could have damaged the phone. I use my phone almost all the time, even when I am taking a shower and sometimes water hits the bottom port but I wait until it's completely dry and the moisture message has disappeared before connecting it and have had no issues
0 Likes
DazzlingTap2
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
I connected a couple time, the message was still there so I gave up and used wireless charging.
0 Likes
Dawnbrightsu
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
yeah you most likely damaged the port. Normally it shows a message telling you to avoid connecting it when the port has moisture on it
0 Likes
vape
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
it sounds like some corrosion on your port. you could try cleaning it out with a q-tip and some rubber alcohol.

side note: use common sense when doing that .
Aaron257
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
same problem..I couldn't charge my s9 plus ...suddenly it says moisture detected..and not charging
0 Likes