Original topic:

What is the Maximum Size for a USB Drive on a Galaxy S20

(Topic created on: 10-21-2021 03:30 PM)
Samsung_Jack
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

I am trying to plug a 128Mb exFAT USB Drive into the USB-C port of the Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G phone and it doesn't seem to recognize it. A 64Gb exFAT drive seems to work fine. The 128Mb exFAT drive works fine when plugged into a PC or other device but not the phone. The phone shows a silent notification: "Charging connected device via USB". If I click on the message it shows "USB controlled by": Connected device and will not allow me to select "This device" from the option buttons. I tried another 128Mb drive and it had the same results. Is the drive too big?

0 Likes
13 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

You should be able to use up to 1 TB of Storage on a USB drive on your S20. But you might want to try Formatting the USB stick to FAT32. 

Samsung_Jack
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Unfortunately, I can't format a FAT32 drive anymore because I am using Windows 10. Regardless, the suggestion doesn't make sense because it reads a 64Gb exFAT just fine. If it would recognize it as a USB drive I could format it on the phone, but it doesn't show up as a storage device.

0 Likes
Samsung_Jack
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

I just tried the same 128Mb exFAT on a friend's Galaxy S20 (regular) phone and it works. For some reason it is not working on my S20 Ultra! However, other drives do work. Is my phone defective? Is there a difference between the Ultra and regular S20s?

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Don't think that there's any difference as far as an external USB stick is concerned.

You can use the Samsung Members app Diagnostics to see if there's an issue with the Type C port on your device.

Open Samsung Members app & click on "help" & Start & then select the Type C port.

You can post the results here if you want. 

0 Likes
Samsung_Jack
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
Thanks for looking into this. I tried the diagnostics. I plugged in the USB drive that works and the one giving me issues on this phone and both report as NORMAL. It thinks all is good with the port.Screenshot_20211021-182339_Samsung Members.jpg
0 Likes
Samsung_Jack
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
It shows USB 2.0, is this the latest? Is there not a 3.0?
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Should be USB Type-C 3.2, USB On-The-Go

0 Likes
Samsung_Jack
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
How do I update that? I have the latest update installed. Is there a way to update the USB software?
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

It's not something that you should need to update. 

Here's the specs for your device from GSM Arena 

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s20-ampp-10081.php

DDid you try Formatting the USB stick to FAT32?