Original topic:

When will January Security patch 2023 come out for s22ultra Canada Version?

(Topic created on: 02-07-2023 10:37 PM)
SamGujralChandigarh
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S

I have S23ultra in waiting period bought from India and Was traveling to Canada when bought S22ultra in November 2022 as was previously on note 10 plus that gets better updates till now bought from India, S22ultra was launched so had to buy from Canada at that time🙏 the Canada s22ultra had the below SKU,

when can we see January patch in Canada Version ,its really important due to major security breaches updated and rectified in January security patch 2023 

Screenshot_20230207_014226_Software update.jpg

0 Likes
13 Comments
SueJr
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
You can't get anything appropriate from Samsung. They don't honor their word.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Samsung and any other OEM have 90 days in which to provide the Monthly Security Patch Updates.

Samsung is better than some others. 

I am aware that Europe, the United States and some other regions have already received the January Security Patch OTA for the S22 series.

But I guess that most people have probably forgotten how quickly Samsung was to release the One UI V5.0 update.. 

There's almost certainly a reason why the S22 series hasn't received the January Security Patch OTA yet. 

Your device isn't going to suddenly explode or stop working... people just need to chill. 

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/12/google-will-require-oems-regularly-deliver-security-updates...

djvn
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
I assume they are planning to release one UI 5.1 to s22 series this month. Because I have s21 and I got January update and I see no reason why s22 can't get the update. You may get February update and oneUI 5.1 together.

Also you can check the details here. These dates are accurate most of the time.
https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility/Software-Update-Schedule/ta-p/127707/redirect_from_archived_page...
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

I would have thought so too, other than the fact that, the S22 series has received the January Security Patch in the US, Europe & most of the rest of the world.

But who knows, maybe the Canadian S22 series will just get One UI V5.1 with the January or February Security Patch? 

csewell
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
In Canada security patches and updates are controlled by your mobile service provider, so there's no sense asking Samsung or complaining about it to Samsung.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

In Canada, ALL the updates are coming from Samsung's Servers. 

The ONLY exception, and very rarely, is occasionally Google itself has pushed a special update. 

The Canadian Carriers do not release any of the OTAs. 

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-a/updates/td-p/7006803

Screenshot_20230208_130006.jpg

Aside from the linked post, this has been discussed numerous times. 

csewell
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
I stand corrected. So it IS Samsung's fault that Canada gets all it's phone updates a month behind every other country. And sometimes not at all, judging from the missing January update for the S22 series. I wonder what the reasoning is behind that decision? Why wait for 5.1 if the January update is ready and was sent at the beginning of January to every other country? Does Samsung provide it's schedule to the carriers so that they can update their release timelines?
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Occasionally, Samsung Canada, has actually released Updates, EVEN Android version updates, BEFORE all of the US Carriers (it is different in the US). Although it is rare. 

I have no idea why the January Security Patch OTA is so late for the S22 series.. 

I haven't kept track, so I'm not sure if there is a problem with Samsung Wallet & the January Security Patch, but it seems from what I have noticed (which could instantly be wrong), that I don't think that people with the S22 have received the Samsung Wallet update? 

It IS also possible, that there's been reports from the other countries where the January Security Patch has been released, that there's a problem with it, so Samsung Canada put a hold on it? 

This is all just potentially, wild speculation on my part..? 

0 Likes
andrew19856
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
I did get Sam's wallet last week -s 22 ultra
0 Likes