Original topic:

Why I'm thinking to do "the switch" again

(Topic created on: 02-11-2021 08:45 PM)
eldarkhaired
Active Level 4
Options
Galaxy S
I've been an Android user all of my tech life. Well, almost! I switched to iPhone 2-3 times along the way, if I remember well. But this year I'm thinking not to upgrade my Galaxy S20 Ultra and go with you know who. If not now, wait for September. Why? Here are my reasons: despite that Galaxy have more features always, better screen and all the bells and whistles, I'm at that point where I really don't care about those things anymore. Out of all of these messaging apps none is better than iMessage. I don't use split screen much also. MicroSD cards are now a thing of the past. But hey, we got adds and we got a lot of them...Hallelujah!!...MST pay feature is also gone and this bothers me most. And just a reminder, where is the eSim feature in Canada?!!!!!!
iOS always gets the better version of apps when Android gets "the clone version". And by the way, why Samsung puts 2 app stores in their phones?!! Are those themes and Exclusive Apps Made for Samsung really something? Also I think that video quality is better, the battery is better. Why have 120hz if is killing the battery? Why are so many owners of S21 series complaining about the battery life? Is really AI watching your habits and will double the battery life next week? No, really?! If is that so, it will happen next week or later? And why is this happening anyway? Or why is not the other way? I mean, release the phone with a at least 2 days battery life first and because of my nasty habits, because I like to stare at that screen, because of that new Samsung phone got embedded into my hand practically, why not the battery life gets drastically reduced after that?
iPad, iPhone and a MacBook Pro system integration is way better than a Galaxy phone with a Windows laptop, a Galaxy tablet or a Galaxy watch. Getting updates the day are released vs a new Android being announced but I'm not getting it for like 6-8 months. Who knows how much the wait will be for next Android 12! Ohh, what about those security updates, get them like 2 months after? Going directly to the Apple store is just better. Apple support and updates for their phones is better than anything Samsung offers. And again, iMessage and FaceTime being baked into the phone is just a good thing when most people I talk to they have iPhones. **bleep**, I just realized that 90% of my coworkers have iPhones. Are they "isheeps"?! And I still can download Telegram, Signal, and WhatsApp for my Android comrades. So, it looks like Samsung made the things I care about on my phone to be changed!
Do you guys have arguments against?
0 Likes
17 Comments
Galaxy S
Very well written story. I don't have any arguments as I haven't ever owned an Apple iPhone. I would suggest giving this serious thought before deciding if you want to stay with Apple or switch over to Samsung. This is your personal decision.
btrthnvr
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
Our of curiosity what's so great with iMessage? I never used an iPhone and really don't know.
eldarkhaired
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
Encryption is the most important, has end to end encryption built in, so no fear of your information being snatched out of the air.
Read receipts: when an iMessage is sent you will see a text saying that was delivered and read. You don't have to wonder if your partner did not read a very important message about picking up a potatoes bag at the grocery store.
Live typing: you will see that other person is typing you back with a 3 dots symbol.
Device syncing: can read and send iMessages from your Apple computer, MacBook or iPad.
Stickers and effects: like exploding confetti when you send "Congratulations" for example.
Not being a green bubble in your friends iPhone😁
eldarkhaired
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
...and I forgot about it. With SMS, the maximum amount of characters to send is 140 I think. With iMessage is virtually unlimited.
You can send voice texts and if you are a gamer, you can host rounds of multiplayer games without leaving the app. You can play board games, 8 ball pool or even have a basketball shooting competition.
These can't be used if your recipient has an Android.
Google is trying a service similar but it will not be compatible with iMessage since it is hosted just in Apple servers.
eldarkhaired
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
...also sending photos or large files are a lot faster than MMS messages
AmeriCanuck
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
With RCS out for Android(I believe most should have it by now) but you get a lot of that. MMS you could already get Read receipts, and regular SMS you can get delivery confirmation as well. And yes, I know Google/Android is very late with RCS when iMessage has been out for soo long. the syncing part of the can happen with Android too between all your devices(Your Phone companion for PC or messages for the web) I'm just saying... Im not trying to argue or anything.
Montreal1
Active Level 8
Galaxy S

Hi eldarkhaired,

You're probably the kind of person who will change your make of car just because the turn signals are yellow instead of white, or you bought a 2020 model and wanted the options of a 2022 model. Concerning SD cards at Samsung, it's like when Apple took the floppy disks out of its computers, everyone whined and when we decided to remove them from the PCs, we whined again. It's like in politics, once you vote conservative and the following elections you vote liberal because you think that the conservatives have lied to you then you realize that the liberals are even more liars and that in the end you should have voted conservative because they are all the same after all.

Have a nice day!

TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
in a lot of ways I feel the same way. samsung devices are not what they used to be hardware wise, and samsung is really striping them down over the past few years and still charging a lot for them. for me I'm starting to think more about long-term use now a days. for instance my S9+ i have to think about how much longer I can use this device with updates. I think my wife and I will have to have "that talk" when it comes time to upgrade. like I said before even I few years ago with the S10's and the S20's. samsung made changes or left something out each time that I just can't bring my self to buy it. then the S21's in my mind are even worse. 🤷🏻‍♂️
TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
it su*cks because 4 years ago I left the walled garden and got my first S7E then S9+. but now the direction samsung devices are going I'm not so sure I will stay samsung for my next device. but I don't really wanna lose hope and give up on samsung yet. but it's getting harder and harder.