Original topic:

Why I'm thinking to do "the switch" again

(Topic created on: 02-11-2021 08:45 PM)
eldarkhaired
Active Level 4
Options
Galaxy S
I've been an Android user all of my tech life. Well, almost! I switched to iPhone 2-3 times along the way, if I remember well. But this year I'm thinking not to upgrade my Galaxy S20 Ultra and go with you know who. If not now, wait for September. Why? Here are my reasons: despite that Galaxy have more features always, better screen and all the bells and whistles, I'm at that point where I really don't care about those things anymore. Out of all of these messaging apps none is better than iMessage. I don't use split screen much also. MicroSD cards are now a thing of the past. But hey, we got adds and we got a lot of them...Hallelujah!!...MST pay feature is also gone and this bothers me most. And just a reminder, where is the eSim feature in Canada?!!!!!!
iOS always gets the better version of apps when Android gets "the clone version". And by the way, why Samsung puts 2 app stores in their phones?!! Are those themes and Exclusive Apps Made for Samsung really something? Also I think that video quality is better, the battery is better. Why have 120hz if is killing the battery? Why are so many owners of S21 series complaining about the battery life? Is really AI watching your habits and will double the battery life next week? No, really?! If is that so, it will happen next week or later? And why is this happening anyway? Or why is not the other way? I mean, release the phone with a at least 2 days battery life first and because of my nasty habits, because I like to stare at that screen, because of that new Samsung phone got embedded into my hand practically, why not the battery life gets drastically reduced after that?
iPad, iPhone and a MacBook Pro system integration is way better than a Galaxy phone with a Windows laptop, a Galaxy tablet or a Galaxy watch. Getting updates the day are released vs a new Android being announced but I'm not getting it for like 6-8 months. Who knows how much the wait will be for next Android 12! Ohh, what about those security updates, get them like 2 months after? Going directly to the Apple store is just better. Apple support and updates for their phones is better than anything Samsung offers. And again, iMessage and FaceTime being baked into the phone is just a good thing when most people I talk to they have iPhones. **bleep**, I just realized that 90% of my coworkers have iPhones. Are they "isheeps"?! And I still can download Telegram, Signal, and WhatsApp for my Android comrades. So, it looks like Samsung made the things I care about on my phone to be changed!
Do you guys have arguments against?
0 Likes
17 Comments
Galaxy S

There is so much wrong with your post.  First, iMessage is no where as secure as you believe it is. Whats app, RCS, imessage all have the so called ""end to end encryption"  

Secondly, you complain about having a top quality screen with 120 refresh rate because it uses extra battery, so you think apple using a lesser quality screen that doesn't have a 120 refresh rate a better thing? And what will you say when apple does start using a screen with a 120 or higher refresh rate and it uses extra batter? Point is mute as you can not compare a screen with 120 to a screen without 120 refresh rate.

3rd, you complain about samsung taking out the microSD card slot, yet apple NEVER gave you the option for expandable memory, so how is that better?  So if 2 phones dont have microSD, how is one better than the other?

In regards to software like telegram and etc, so what you can get it on android and iphone, again, same software point is mute. The reason why samsung has 2 app stores is called freedom of choice. With apple you either use the app store or you dont have apps. so its better to have more than one option. 

And, and the last point your coworkers have an iphone, big deal, if your coworkers jump off a bridge are you going to also?

eldarkhaired
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
Ok, I like your arguments but it looks like you did not get the essence of what I was saying.
Samsung have shoot themselves in the foot throwing away their advantages over the other. In 2021 everyone wants the most of their devices, so when you are one or few steps ahead, you don't go back. If Samsung have chosed this way I'm not going to support them. My money can go anywhere else. Laughing at someone just to copy his moves later is hypocrisy.
Storage wise, everybody knows that iPhone never had an expansion storage slot, so now with both in the same league what comes to play is product quality, apps and support. They are better on the other side. And that low grade aluminum frame is something what you don't want in a expensive phone.
If you like having adds from Galaxy Store into your apps, go ahead.
My co-workers do not intend a mass suicide, sharing location on a 10-15 km oil field area, put it this way, is just better in iOS.
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

This reply is, in my opinion your best argument 👍

Galaxy S

Ok, you dont need to give Samsung your money. However, you used the MicroSD example in your post, so when someone rebuts your point on both phones not having that option, you cant turn into a build quality issue.  Build quality on both phones is the same really, aside from the look of the devices, both are premium builds.  Samsung at least does something different with the phone, look at how well they designed the camera bump this year, what did apple do, nothing different from iphone 11.   I have been both an iphone and a galaxy user, i personally do not feel that samsung uses low grade aluminum at all, and if you remember just a few years back, apple had a bending issue with its phone. So, if a phone bends, whose phone quality is better?

As per your statement on hypocrisy, thats how you may see it, removing the charging brick or removing the microSD slot, but as much as we may not like it, its a business move. You cant blame Samsung for noticing that people still bought the new iphone without a charging brick, so Samsung did it and saved money.  The only people to blame for this is YOU, the customer who still supported the company after such a move. So hypocrisy is when someone wants to switch companies to a company that does the same thing. If you wanted to show how unhappy you are with this type of move you would change to a company that still has a MicroSD slot and a charging brick.

eldarkhaired
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
I agree with you, speaking about innovation, Samsung S21 Ultra looks gorgeous. It is the best of all their entire S series. Even I flirted with the idea to order one of those special edition, the blue or brown color. But at the end I realized that you can't give something with one hand and take more back with the other. Maybe works at a bigger scale, but from my point of view, the consumer, is not cool.
And to be honest, I'm not in a rush to buy another phone and I'm not entirely sure if iPhone is going to be my next device. I have my sight on the next Sony 1 III also, so I'm waiting to see what will offer, then I will decide. Certain it is that Samsung lost their mojo to me.
keagan
Options
Galaxy S

Hi eldarkhaired, Due to the rapid adoption of NFC-based payment in the market, Samsung decided to remove MST solution in the devices. But the Galaxy S21 series will still be able to make mobile payments through Samsung Pay using NFC. It’s the same as other payment solutions like Apple Pay and Google Pay not supporting MST.
With both Galaxy Store which is specially designed for Samsung devices and Play store, you can make use of apps from various developers across both platforms.

eldarkhaired
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
What about those few more swipes to open NFC? And the battery draining if you will forget it ON?
keagan
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, when using the device in 120Hz refresh rate, the battery may be drained rapidly compared to 60Hz. I suggest you please use standard refresh rate in normal situations to conserve battery power. Please note that the battery life also varies by network environment, features and apps used, frequency of calls and messages, number of times charged, and many other factors.