Original topic:

Why your S8/S9 update is delayed:

(Topic created on: 08-14-2018 10:02 AM)
Bing
Active Level 10
Options
Galaxy S
Canada has longer process to release update. As you can see pic 1, the updates must meet regulatory approvals *after* they're found to be bug free. They can still be denied release and Samsung or carrier has to work on software again.

This is why wonchul and Steve have said in second picture that dates can change. You'll notice that they only give updates once a month (never fixed "s5" edge+) . They can't ask software people or carrier every now and then as to when the update will be released.

If there is an update out, 100% chance someone will post it, so no need to spam forums that Samsung is slow or carriers are slow or recommend others to *root* their devices (which voids warranty!)

In the end, Samsung is not at fault for updates issue because of having to meet carrier and then regulatory approvals. About 20+ countries received the update August 2nd. Yes, different version of S9 (does version really matter for security patches?), but even when Canada and world had same version (or any other manufacture phone), Canadian updates were very slow to come by.

When Sony, lg and Samsung, among others, release updates slowly to Canadian consumers, the issue is somewhere other than manufacturers. You can only blame Samsung for not having 8.1 out or 9.0 coming next year. dea11fcc-a291-49a6-88d0-3383f1ade71b.jpg
d3815b9b-afeb-4290-9484-0ddebcb9d007.jpg
6 Comments
Echo1
Expert Level 4
Galaxy S
kinda common information that I would think most if not all members on the forum already knows.....
But thanks anyways.
0 Likes
Bing
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Welcome and glad you appreciated. I wanted to add picture because first time I read about regulatory requirement on top of carrier.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
@google, I'm not sure why you say the update for the S8/S8+ is delayed, as I got my update, I'm on Virgin Mobile.4b021168-644e-4246-8989-cb9c91e2626b.jpg
0 Likes
Galaxy S
Yeah I know right.... 🐧
0 Likes
RichMan1
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Only Bell and it's sub pushed it. I'm on Freedom and nothing for me. Rogers on 20th apparently.
Bell seems to be the only good OEM pushing all SU on time.
Bing
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Hence I said regulators and carriers slow down update. Your comment proves my point that Samsung isn't at fault
0 Likes