Original topic:

Will the S20 5G support mmwave in Canada?

(Topic created on: 07-10-2020 10:56 PM)
brotz68
Active Level 4
Options
Galaxy S
I am thinking about purchasing a Samsung Galaxy S20 5G, but am concerned about the connectivity. 5G is something I definitely look forward to in a smartphone, and seeing as Verizon mobile has announced that their network is adding a Galaxy S20 5G mmwave variant, it got me thinking about whether the Canadian networks will pick this up too. Thanks for the help!
0 Likes
4 Comments
MystTake
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
the s20+ and ultra can connect with mmwave its just the technology on the regular s20 didnt have mmwave capabilities and only sub6 that's why Verizon had its own variant. majority of people buy the plus and ultra versions anyways
Kinsley
Options
Galaxy S
Hi @BrotzLeviathian68,
5G is slowly but surely spreading everywhere and is becoming more commonplace. Because of this, the new Galaxy S20 models are all 5G-compatible.
The Galaxy S20 5G is compatible with sub-6.
The Galaxy S20+ 5G is compatible with mmWave and sub-6.
and The Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G is compatible with mmWave and sub-6.
5G compatibility requires an optimal 5G connection. 5G services are only supported in the 5G network-enabled locations in 5G-ready countries. Actual speed may vary depending on the country, carrier, and user environment.
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
The Verizon S20 UW (that's how Verizon call it) is a necessity for them because Verizon basically only have mmWave 5G. In Canada, no carrier even has mmWave spectrum to begin with, and auctions won't start until next year. So I'm 99.9% sure Samsung Canada won't release a mmWave S20 here, especially since the UW models lacks many features, like an SD Card slot and has less RAM.

Anyway, mmWave has extremely limited use cases. It has extremely poor range and basically needs a clear line of sight, being easily stopped or disrupted by objects you are unlikely to cross during your day, like walls, vehicles, people and weather conditions. So don't hold your breath for that and enjoy Sub-6GHz. The real improvements will come from SA networks, which means networks using a 5G core. Current 5G networks only have 5G RAN, with the rest relying on LTE.
brotz68
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
I'll go with the S20+ instead