Original topic:

Yet another battery drain post

(Topic created on: 04-15-2018 05:12 PM)
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Options
Galaxy S
Because having battery issues is trendy...
Hellow there. Let's cut to the chase. My trusty S7 has chosen to take part in the battery drain trend, without my consent. Used to last me longer... It would be great if anyone could help me.
Note that the M1 cores do enter sleep mode as I pointed out last time. Rest assured, cache clearing from the Recovery boot menu is a step I have taken on multiple occasions.
There's a screenshot of the battery usage screen enclosed, but is in French so here's a translated version.
1- Screen (3h33 SOT) 23%
2- Android System 16%
3- System UI (AOD) 8%
4- Device Idle 7%
5- Android OS 6%
6- Light Manager 5% (this is normal though)
7- audioserver 3%
8- mediaserver 2%
9- media.codec ( I assume HW decoding from watching very high quality, high compression videos) 2%
10- Cell Standby 2%
11- S Internet 1%
The only really unusual part is the Android System part. And you know, only 3 hours SOT. 10be0f8c-052d-4a22-88a3-4084cbfacad2.jpg
11897dcb-e870-452f-bacd-313a7cd7629c.jpg
0 Likes
22 Comments
LazyGhost
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Went through all the suggested steps. Their only advice is to take it into a service centre for inspection, so A) They'll possibly fix it for free or B) Say it's not covered and you'll be out of pocket a lot of cash. Either way you're probably going to be stuck with some crap phone for a couple of weeks. I'm touching it out and using my device insurance to get a new phone. I miss the swappable batteries 😑02a26323-15fb-436a-820a-66e61519cd7f.jpg
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Indeed. One of the reasons why I wanted a Note4.

I am still on warranty so that's good. But we cancelled the device protection plan from the carrier so I'll have to go to one of those. Luckily I live not that far from the only one in the province so we'll see how it plays out next week (can't go on weekdays). Thank you
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
In app battery test says normal, but that's obvious. The test does only test the physical battery, not it's usage, which is a shame. Gonna file a suggestion about this tomorrow.
0 Likes
Brando
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
You have 3 hour screen on time???? I normally only got 1.5 -2hr screen on time.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Nah your thing is way more serious. Saw your other post, these numbers are depressing. I'd suggest uninstall Google Play Services and update it again, but one of your apps is definitely misbehaving. Also I suggest you do a reset and reinstall your apps. I'll do that shortly too before trying a Service Center (don't have that kind of money to spend unfortunately)
JohnH
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
my S7 gets around 3.5 sot as well. If you do go to a service center would you mind letting me know the cost of a battery replacement because I've been thinking of getting one myself.

If it's super expensive I suggest Samsung's wireless charger case. That gets my battery through the entire day no problem.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
In fact, the battery's fine. My S7 isn't even 6 months old. It's more about resource handling that is problemproblematic here. And no worries if I do get there I'll let you know about the price. I except a lot since they have to make it waterproof again

And thank you for the alternative.
Galaxy S
It's refreshing to see that a battery drain post isn't all about an update to Oreo!
My S7 is just about a year old - But I'm apparently lucky with batteries... I wonder if Samsung battery suppliers are partly responsible for the varying battery life experiences? I know that like most manufacturers, Samsung sources parts from a number of different suppliers.. and just as the "same" chip has different performance characteristics, this leads me to think that the same applies to the battery?
I personally also miss the removable battery, but I'll take the Ip68 over the removable battery every time.
For what it's worth - Publicly posting the intention to deliberately "damage - lose" etc a phone to claim it on Device Protection is highly inappropriate for a public Forum... If that's what someone wants to do, that's their choice - But encouraging others to do the same has no place here....That's my 2 cents.
0 Likes
LazyGhost
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Sorry buddy but that's straight from the insurance people's mouths. Numbers wise it makes more sense for them...besides Samsung gets another sale. Don't try to be altruistic...you're human and by default a hypocrite 😉
0 Likes