Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Camera housing on my green Z Fold 3 seems to have a small paint chip off

(Topic created on: 05-06-2022 03:50 PM)
JP19
Expert Level 3
Options
Galaxy Z
Is it covered under warranty? Just had this phone for only 1 week+. As u can see in the image, on the bottom right of the camera housing, there is a small silver dot, which is actually the paint peeling off. Quite disappointed that the paint is peeling off so easily.

9 Comments
SamsungNantakkumar
Options
Galaxy Z

Hello JP19. I am Avinash, from Samsung.

We're sorry for the experience. Based on the terms and conditions of our Samsung Singapore warranty under Limitations and Exclusions, if your case falls under cosmetic, physical or liquid damage and will not be covered under Samsung Singapore warranty. The repair will be chargeable. For more information about Samsung Singapore warranty policies, please visit the following link. https://www.samsung.com/sg/support/warranty/

At the same time, may we invite you to book an appointment at our service centre - https://www.samsung.com/sg/support/where-to-find-samsung-service-centre-in-singapore/ where our service engineer will assess your device and advise you accordingly?

Thank you.

0 Likes
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
However, it's this morning I discovered that it's a paint peel and my phone is in the case. Initially, I thought it was just a dust and I tried blowing it off, but it didn't. So I gently used a cloth to swipe it off, then it wouldn't go away. Then I realized that it was not dust, but a peel. I have been very careful with placing my phone by placing on a flat surface without any sharp objects and it was on a case. So I have no idea why the paint would peel on its own.
0 Likes
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Really disappointed that the camera housing is made of inferior quality, that cannot even withstand just 2 weeks of usage.
0 Likes
FrankGPani
Active Level 6
Galaxy Z
It is not just the camera housing. If you read some of the other posts here, expect some peeling to happen. For me, it was near the hinge after 4mths (at area not covered by protective phone case). Still love my Fold3 though but have accepted that it will not remain pristine and the paintwork will degrade over time.
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Hey FrankGPani, I came from rigid phones.. haha.. so was expecting the same rigidity and durability. Seems like I have to lower my OCD standard alr.. for the past years from S3 to Note 5 to Note 10+.. only S3 had the worst peeling on the chassis. Note 5 and Note 10+ have no issues with peeling. Now changed to Z Fold 3, in green colour and some more with green coating.. probably I should expect peeling of the colour over time.
0 Likes
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Just curious.. did u purchase the additional year of Care+, besides the free 1 year Care+? Just now, I went to the service centre. The lady told me that my case is not covered under warranty, as it falls under cosmetic damage and they would have to write report for the reason behind replacement of the housing and told me to wait till the internal fails (though she mentioned touch wood to me haha), then they will definitely replace the whole back glass, including the camera housing (which is a whole piece of glass). I casually asked for the price of the replacement and she told me it's about $100 and told me why want to change for what.. not worth it. Wait till something goes wrong then change. So now, I have to live with it. Though still loving this Fold 3. My hinge is still protected with the pre-installed plastic protector, have no intention to remove.
0 Likes
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Yeah most phone cases don't protect the hinge. If the case protects, it's definitely bulky. For me, I am currently using the Ringke Slim case. What colour is your Fold 3?
0 Likes
FrankGPani
Active Level 6
Galaxy Z
Using a black Z Fold3 with Samsung's Amarid cover. Tried a couple of cases and that was the thinnest, and still afforded some protection (e.g. lifts and keeps camera lens array off table surface).
And no, I didn't opt for the additional 2nd year of Samsung Care+. On hindsight, maybe I should have as it could been worth the additional insurance, but by then I might have upgraded to the next Fold model too. 🤔
JP19
Expert Level 3
Galaxy Z
Sorry I may sound too excited.. haha.. since it is my first time owning a foldable, although I have been using Samsung flagships for the past 10 years and I really want to prolong the usage of this phone as long as possible.

Yeah I see on Reddit that many are recommending Samsung's own branded Amarid cover, offering thin, but good protection.

Cos for me, I will usually change phone once between 3 and 4 years. Only this time round, used my Note 10+ for 2 years and 8 months and due to my careless mistake, caused me to change phone abruptly. So I would opt for the additional year of Care+ to reserve for changing of battery especially, now that it's more complex to open up the phone, compared to rigid phones. Then at least, I can use for another year or 2, after the change of battery.
0 Likes