Original topic:

DeX on Fold's inner display

(Topic created on: 04-20-2022 01:19 PM)
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy Z

Here's DeX running directly on a Galaxy Note 9 phone display - no external monitor needed: https://www.reddit.com/r/SamsungDex/comments/18v38fx/hell_yes/ 

Samsung can easily make this work on the Fold (or any other device for that matter), they just choose not to.

Please allow DeX to be used directly on the Fold's inner display when unfolded, just as you can on the Tab S devices. This has been demonstrated to be possible with a rooted device - see: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/add-more-features-to-oneui-5-beta-rayos-rom-or-stock-rooted-oneui...

Add "standalone" to the line in /system/etc/floating_features.xml <SEC_FLOATING_FEATURE_COMMON_CONFIG_DEX_MODE>dual,wireless,dexforpc</SEC_FLOATING_FEATURE_COMMON_CONFIG_DEX_MODE> so it becomes <SEC_FLOATING_FEATURE_COMMON_CONFIG_DEX_MODE>dual,wireless,dexforpc,standalone</SEC_FLOATING_FEATURE_COMMON_CONFIG_DEX_MODE> 

After applying, the DeX UI will be available on the phone's local display - no external display needed.​

This would be a perfect showcase of DeX being the next generation in mobile computing - being a PC that can be folded up and fit in your pocket, then unfolded and used as a desktop without the need to connect to an external display.

Xioami already showed this concept in action with their recent folding device - it ought to be a no-brainer for Samsung too DeX to be used this way directly on the Fold's display, too.

I was really hoping the Fold 3 would implement this feature, but it didn't, and that literally stopped Mr from buying it. Should this feature be added in an update, or committed to for the Fold 4, consider me sold.

Anyone else share this sentiment? Thanks 😊 
117 Comments
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Galaxy Z

Hi Georgine - It has been 1.5 years, 65 comments, and more than 140 "likes" later but this feature is still not implemented despite being a straightforward fix.

Are you able to provide an update, please? Thanks!

Miraxess
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy Z

Totally Agree.

dan_ht
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy Z

Totally agree, it's 2022 and i'm still waiting 😕

Members_xYJrQ53
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Z

Adding my voice to this request. Native DeX on Z Fold 3 is a no-brainer, really. 

Texaslonghorns
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy Z

Just bumping this post with a comment to make sure Samsung knows a ton of us would love this feature. Can't be too hard to implement since it's already done on their newer tablets.

nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Galaxy Z

Hear! Hear! Thanks for your support :)

Vas02
Active Level 1
Galaxy Z

Good on you. Yes there are a ton of us!

Pycorax
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Z

I would like this too. It would be really helpful when paired with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Galaxy Z

Absolutely! I know Samsung wants an excuse to sell Tabs as companion devices, but folks like me (and others, I'm sure) have no intention of buying multiple devices no matter how many features get held back, so they'd be better served to just enhance the products they already have.

Being able to pull out my Fold and have a portable computer on the go without needing a bulky Tab or external monitor is end game for me.

Vas02
Active Level 1
Galaxy Z

Wouldn't make much difference. I have the fold and also own the Tab S8 Ultra. I would use both. The Tab for when i need to be productive and i would use Dex on my phone when i dont have a laptop or tab with me to get me out of trouble