Original topic:

DeX on Fold's inner display

(Topic created on: 11-15-2021 01:26 AM)
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy Z

Here's DeX running directly on a Galaxy Note 9 phone display - no external monitor needed: https://www.reddit.com/r/SamsungDex/comments/18v38fx/hell_yes/ 

Samsung can easily make this work on the Fold (or any other device for that matter), they just choose not to.

Please allow DeX to be used directly on the Fold's inner display when unfolded, just as you can on the Tab S devices. This has been demonstrated to be possible with a rooted device - see: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/add-more-features-to-oneui-5-beta-rayos-rom-or-stock-rooted-oneui...

Add "standalone" to the line in /system/etc/floating_features.xml <SEC_FLOATING_FEATURE_COMMON_CONFIG_DEX_MODE>dual,wireless,dexforpc</SEC_FLOATING_FEATURE_COMMON_CONFIG_DEX_MODE> so it becomes <SEC_FLOATING_FEATURE_COMMON_CONFIG_DEX_MODE>dual,wireless,dexforpc,standalone</SEC_FLOATING_FEATURE_COMMON_CONFIG_DEX_MODE> 

After applying, the DeX UI will be available on the phone's local display - no external display needed.​

This would be a perfect showcase of DeX being the next generation in mobile computing - being a PC that can be folded up and fit in your pocket, then unfolded and used as a desktop without the need to connect to an external display.

Xioami already showed this concept in action with their recent folding device - it ought to be a no-brainer for Samsung too DeX to be used this way directly on the Fold's display, too.

I was really hoping the Fold 3 would implement this feature, but it didn't, and that literally stopped Mr from buying it. Should this feature be added in an update, or committed to for the Fold 4, consider me sold.

Anyone else share this sentiment? Thanks 😊 
118 Comments
PamPushkin
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy Z

+1. Would be nice feature.

phoneking13
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy Z

Would also like this option as well

Jwonderwood
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy Z

Please Samsung, I would use this every day if I could on my Z fold 3!

Nagapow
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy Z

Would love to have this feature. 

Vas02
Active Level 1
Galaxy Z

I absolutely agree!

Vas02
Active Level 1
Galaxy Z

I assumed the Dex quick panel button was exactly for this purpose and when I tried it, I was greatly disappointed. Samsung please fix this via an update. The folds deserve Dex usability as the S Tabs

despeaux
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy Z

Yes please. I would have nearly no use for my laptop anymore. 

Members_ljp62z6
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy Z

Please do it Samsung! We all need this feature!

Wi11iamX
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy Z

This is overdue already, please just allow us to use the inner screen in DEX mode now

Meevhy
Beginner Level 5
Galaxy Z

Jumping onto the wagon! We need this option, please Samsung!