Original topic:

Fold 3 Overheating

(Topic created on: 12-11-2021 03:28 PM)
Kombatsd
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy Z
Hi Samsung and Fold 3 owners.
I use Android Auto in my car and unfortunately it's plug in only. The phone gets really hot when connected for only half an hour. Anyone has this issue? Cheers.
9 Comments
SamsungLaura
Options
Galaxy Z

Hi @Kombatsd, that's strange. Devices can overhead for a few reasons: 

1. Ambient temperature. Is your device near an area where it'd be exposed to prolonged periods of sunlight? 

2. Poor USB connection. Is the overheating occurring towards the USB side of the device? If so, this can indicate a damaged cable. While most USB cables look similar, there can be huge differences in terms of their quality and charging speeds. Android Auto requires a high quality USB cable that is capable of supporting data transfers. If possible, use the original cable that came with your device.

3. Close background apps and processes before initiating Android Auto. 

4. Shut down your device for a few minutes, and restart after it has cooled. Shut downs can clear the cache and end any processes that may have been running that you were unaware of. 

Let me know how you go! 

0 Likes
Kombatsd
Active Level 6
Galaxy Z
Hi Laura.
1. The car is on the move when I'm using Android Auto
2. I understand. I'm using an expensive USB cable. Same one when using it on my Note 10+. Didn't have the overheating issue.
3. I always close and clear all background app after use.
4. My phone restarts every day.
0 Likes
SamsungLaura
Options
Galaxy Z

Hi @Kombatsd, that's strange. As it is a new behaviour, I suggest sending an error report via the Samsung Members app for this to be investigated. This would be best sent within 2-3 minutes of the issue occurring to increase the likelihood of log data capturing the issue. 

To send an error report:

Samsung Members > Get help > Error reports > Overheating > describe issue and frequency > Tick ‘send system log data’ > Send in top right.

0 Likes
Googley
Active Level 1
Galaxy Z
I use Android auto all the time with my fold 3 and no overheating issues
Ren79
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy Z

This happened to me recently. I was charging my Fold 3 using Android Auto in the car with the dedicated port and experienced the same. I never had this issue with my note 10+. 

The Fold 3 got that hot I could fry an egg on it, I couldn't even hold the phone. All my apps starting crashing and I had to shut it down. I was worried it would do some serious damage. I then opened the inside screens and the protective screen has now separated from the screens. There is new a line straight through the middle. 

I just sent the error report and currently discussing with Samsung on next step. They want me to send it away and I hope they can reproduce it. 

Kombatsd
Active Level 6
Galaxy Z
I hope Samsung will sort it out for you. This sort of thing is hard to replicate. In my experience, sending error reports does not get anything sorted. Good luck 🤞
Ren79
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy Z

Agree. Thanks for the info and I hope yours has been sorted or has improved. Maybe they will ask to send them the car too haha. 

Honestly its not good and I hope they take this seriously. 

0 Likes
Kombatsd
Active Level 6
Galaxy Z
My phone still gets warm when charging. Hope yours will get sorted.
SamsungLaura
Options
Galaxy Z

Hi @Ren79, thanks for sending that error report through. 

As an additional note, I also have some information regarding general device overheating. 

If the phone is overheating whilst being used then the first thing you should do is stop any apps that might be running in the background

[recent applications (left navigation key/icon)>close all].

It is also a good idea to use device maintenance to optimize the phones settings

[settings > device care >optimize now > done > battery/performance mode > storage > memory > device security].

As overheating can be due to active apps using the data connection (mobile data or Wi-Fi), you can also turn on data saver in the phones settings

[settings > connections > data usage > data saver > toggle: on] and you can also allow unrestricted data usage for particular apps in this menu.

Please also refrain from using the phone whilst it is charging or leaving it exposed to external heat sources. To cool an overheating phone down, please temporarily remove any covers or cases that are protecting it – you can put these back on once temperature has reduced.

0 Likes