Original topic:

Galaxy Z Fold 3 and Galaxy Z Flip 2 will have an IP rating

(Topic created on: 04-19-2021 09:42 PM)
khtannnnnnnnnn
Expert Level 5
Options
Galaxy Z

Durability remains a concern with foldable smartphones and Samsung is addressing it with each new generation. The Galaxy Z Flip featured Samsung’s first-ever Ultra-Thin Glass foldable display and a solid hinge.

The Galaxy Z Fold 2 also featured a UTG panel in addition to a more refined hinge. None of the foldables that Samsung has released so far have an IP rating. That’s about to change this year.

Samsung’s first foldable phones with an IP rating

An IP or Ingress Protection rating is awarded to the enclosure of an electrical item. It clearly indicates just how resistant the item is to debris and liquid ingress. For example, the IP67 rating found on most smartphones indicates that it offers full protection against dust and other foreign particles as well as protection against full immersion in water for up to 30 minutes at up to 1 meter.

We hear from reliable sources that both new foldables – the Galaxy Z Fold 3 and the Galaxy Z Flip 2 will feature an IP rating. The exact rating is unknown at this point in time. It may not be similar to the IP68 rating of the Galaxy S21 Ultra, for example, but at least it represents a major improvement in the durability department.

This will certainly be a welcome addition for customers who pay up to $2,000 for a foldable like the Galaxy Z Fold 3. Samsung’s foldables are also some of its most expensive smartphones. The more durable they can be the better it is for customers.

Samsung is due to launch the Galaxy Z Fold 3 and the Galaxy Z Flip 2 later this year. A recent report has suggested that the devices may be launched in July. These are the only two foldable smartphones that Samsung will be launching this year. Rumors that claimed up to four new foldables might be launched are incorrect.

1 Comment
AMAdnan
Beginner Level 5
Galaxy Z
I hope they improve the screens. I love my Z Fold but less than a year of very careful usage and I already have a dead pixel on the foldable screen