Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Z Flip 3 Screen intermittently turns off after opening, or doesn't turn on at all

(Topic created on: 03-28-2022 04:35 PM)
Nokia4EVA
Beginner Level 3
Options
Galaxy Z

HI, 

Is anyone having an issue with their Z Flip 3 where they open the phone, the screen comes on, and then almost immediately goes off, and won't come back unless the phone is closed/opened again, or an issue where they open the phone, the screen doesn't come on at all, but the phone still responds as if the phone is unlocked and working?

I've attached a video of some examples. Please excuse the heavy breathing, I was wearing my motorcycle helmet to record the video with the attached GoPro so I could use both hands to flip open the phone. 

I reached out to Samsung support yesterday, and was told to reset all my settings to see if that fixes anything, but it didn't, so their next step was to post here. 

I've also tried looking for others with the same issue, and only found one bloke on Reddit having the issue. Comments there say it's a hardware issue and the screen needs to be replaced.

My phone is just under 4 months old, I got it from JB, and there is no physical damage. Software is all up-to-date. 

Is this a hardware issue, or is there another way to fix this?

23 Comments
Troubadour
Active Level 10
Galaxy Z
Probably not the answer but search post called "Z Fold3 trouble" for a couple of suggestions
0 Likes
SammyDee
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy Z
I have the bew fold and this happened to me within a few weeks of purchase. It started with a line through the fold, then o lying one screen inside working and now it shows nothing
0 Likes
Solution
SamsungLaura
Options
Galaxy Z

Hi there, thanks for the video.

Based on what you've shared, I recommend for you to head into your nearest authorised service centre with your proof of purchase so that we can take a closer look into this. Please be aware that due to our Privacy Policy, your device may be factory reset before being assessed. I highly recommend backing up your device via Smart Switch, DeX, OneDrive and/or Google to ensure none of your data is lost.

For more information on how to back up your device: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/back-up-samsung-device/ 

To book an appointment prior to heading in-store or to drop off your device via Australia Post: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/your-service/main 

To find your nearest store: https://www.samsung.com/au/samsungstore/

Nokia4EVA
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy Z
Hi Laura, I can confirm this is pretty much the right solution.

28/03 I sent the info and video in my post as an error report to Samsung, who told me 31/03 to send another error report and include the logs, so I did that 31/03, then 04/04 I took my phone to a service centre, who replaced the LCD, battery, antenna, and frame, all under warranty, and within 24h so I picked up my phone 05/04, and today 06/04 Samsung research and development team have said they can't definitively determine the issue from the error report and I should take it to a service centre, which is what you said from the beginning.

So yea, Laura. You got it right immediately the first time. Thank you for your help.

My exact reply from Samsung R&D below for anyone else that is experiencing the same issue

"Good morning,

Thank you for your patience whilst we analysed the error report file that you sent to us. The research and development team have advised the following:

Analysis of this issue with only log file is not possible due to multiple factors that could result in this issue. Please guide user to service centre for hardware assessment to confirm issue.

Based on the advice from our research and development team, we'd be unable to confirm the cause of this issue through only log file analysis. In this case, we'd suggest having the device assessed by one of our Samsung technicians to ensure the device is working as intended. To arrange this assessment, you can either bring it to a Samsung store, or submit it directly to us via post. You can see the steps involved with this process via the link below:

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/your-service/main

Kind regards, Jayden
Samsung Members team
SamsungLaura
Options
Galaxy Z

Hi @Nokia4EVA, thanks for letting us know! I am glad to hear your device has been repaired. 

Feel free to reach out should you have any further questions in the future. :)

0 Likes
Hmbucker
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Z

This is not a solution, at least not for me, my phone is out of warranty and I would rather buy a new one than have it fixed by someone who also doesn't know what the real problem is.  This is just ridiculous.

Is it that hard to troubleshoot or diagnose? I mean, the backlight dies as soon as you fully open the phone.  It does not do that if you open it for 80%. Also, when opened up fully, pressing the home button, and then fingerprint recognition, turns the backlight back on.  I cannot believe that this cannot be fixed other than completely replacing half of the components, especially the screen...

To me it still looks like software, it certainly feels like it, as the problem with me only started after I did a certain upgrade at some point.
There must be something triggering a crash as soon as the screen is fully opened.

0 Likes
SamsungClaudette
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Z

Hey @Hmbucker

Based on what you've described, I recommend for you to head into your nearest authorised service centre with your proof of purchase so that we can take a closer look into this. Please be aware that due to our Privacy Policy, your device may be factory reset before being assessed. I highly recommend backing up your device via Smart Switch, OneDrive and/or Google to ensure none of your data is lost.

For more information on how to back up your device: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/back-up-samsung-device/

To book an appointment prior to heading in-store or to drop off your device via Australia Post: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/your-service/main

To find your nearest store: https://www.samsung.com/au/samsungstore/

Kind Regards,
SamsungClaudette

0 Likes
NYSTech
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Z

I tried changing the cover screen setting (always on, and notifications), plus I turned of face recognition. So far it seems to have fixed it.

0 Likes
KL222
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Z
Hi, my Z Flip 3 has been doing this exact same thing for the past 3 months. It is really annoying and I wish I had not bought a Flip phone.
The problem is intermittent, so sometimes I open the phone and it is fine, but other times I have to open and close it 3 or 4 times to get rid of the black screen.
I phoned my local Samsung outlet and the staff member suggested I reset it and update all software. I did that but it didn't fix the problem. I then took it to the Samsung outlet and they fiddled with it and said they had fixed it, however when I returned home the problem returned.
I am not sure what to do next.
0 Likes