Original topic:

CRTC unlocked phone rule leads to higher theft...

(Topic created on: 08-18-2018 03:25 PM)
Vic20
Active Level 10
Options
Others
Sorry, not Samsung related, but thought some of you might find this an interesting read...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/bell-rogers-say-crtcs-unlocked-phone-rule-has-sparked-a-crime-spree/ar-BBM4Urf?ocid=mmx&PC=EMMX01
0 Likes
8 Comments
Habsfan
Expert Level 2
Others
it's totally not true lol, it's the big 3 carriers trying to lock phones again to make more Money cause they are crooks
0 Likes
Vic20
Active Level 10
Others
LOL. I agree. They're crying foul in hopes of reversing the ruling.
0 Likes
carr0498
Active Level 10
Others
lol that's funny, considering the iemi can be locked to prevent use of a stolen phone
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Others
I don't see how waving a 50$ fee can cause higher theft of 500$+ devices.

Also it's not like criminals are not aware of the many free ways to unlock a phone, incl. CF Auto-root
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Others
@ShaggyskunkS9P
Sorry I meant that they usually root and then unlock it for free. That's how cheap unlock and repair stores do it. Went once for a friend since it's only 20 bucks. They rolled back my friend's S6 to Marshmallow, rooted and unlocked the phone, and then unrooted by flashing official (but still MM) FW.

And yes I cannot agree more. Anything to look like the good guys that care for the customers, anything to charge more.
0 Likes
Others
Haha yeah - And I think that I like the term "money Grubbing sons of bastwiches" lol 🤑💰💸🙃😂
Vic20
Active Level 10
Others
Yeah IMEI can be blacklisted. Though they could scam unknowledgeable individuals with the blacklisted phones. But being held at gun point, that's rather scary and I can see that happening. Knew a co worker that was held at gun point years ago. Frightening experience needless to say.
0 Likes
stmax
Active Level 6
Others
I stumbled on a side effect of unlocking that IS Samsung related. I have insurance on my phone. I recently broke my S9+ and the replacement was not fully functional because it was unlocked rather than a Rogers Phone. I had to redo the replacement causing me time. I learned that Apple does not allow any crippling of its phones when unlocked. Which that it is not a technical issue. It is a POLICY issue. Samsung needs to step up and push carriers to respect the way their phones were designed rather than playing these games.
0 Likes