Original topic:

Sound from TV to Analog Stereo

(Topic created on: 02-06-2021 04:06 PM)
Mac6
Active Level 1
Options
Others

I purchased a Samsung TU8000 Crystal UHD 4K TV.  Model Code: UN50TU8000F

When purchasing I was told that I could play the TV sound through my older stereo system.

I purchased a Digital to Analog Audio Converter.   It has the Optical cable, power cable to USB port and the converter.

Set up as follows.

Opitcal cable to TV and to Converter.

USB power from Converter to USB port in television.

RCA connectors from Converter to stereo system.

I then turn on the TV and stereo and set TV to Optical and PCM

Unfortunately I am not getting any sound from the stereo.   My wiring to the stereo is ok as I checked it with my laptop and was getting sound.

There is a light showing the converter is receiving power and if I unpulug the optical cable from the converter there is a red glow in the end of the cable.

I am not sure if “Optical” and “Digital’ mean the same.   When I search for Optical converters, Digital converters seem to be the result.

Any ideas please.    I would really like to get this TV playing through my stereo.

Irvin

6 Comments
keagan
Options
Others

Hi Mac6,

Unfortunately, we do not have tested information on compatibility with converters.

0 Likes
FattyP
Active Level 8
Others
Does the manual on the DAC say how many amps it draws? Your two USB inputs have different output power. 1 Amp on the top and 0.5 amps on the bottom one. If you haven't already, maybe try the 1 amp USB port.

If you tried your laptop while your DAC's power was connected to the T.V., then ignore this suggestion. Good luck.
0 Likes
Mac6
Active Level 1
Others

Have tried both USB ports.

I think I am way in over my head.

Still not sure if Optical and Digital mean the same in regards to converters.

The specks for the converter I have are as below.   I got these off the net.   I think it is the same as the manual that came with the converter.   The print on the manual was so small I couldn't even read it with a magnifying glass.   LOL   The diagrams look the same however.

Signal Inputs/Output
Input Audio Coaxial or Toslink digital audio
Output Audio L/R audio
Connector
Input audio connector Toslink、1XRCA(Coaxial)
Output audio connector 2XRCA(R/L)
Sampling rate 32, 44.1, 48 and 96 KHz
Mechanical
Size(L-W-H) 51X41X26MM
Weight (Net) 78g
Warranty
Limited Warranty 1 Year Parts and Labor
Environmental
Operating Temperature 0 ℃ to +70℃
Operating Humidity 10% to 85% RH (no condensation)
Storage Temperature -10℃ to +80℃
Storage Humidity 5% to 90% RH (no condensation)
Power Requirement
External Power Supply 5V DC@2A
Power Consumption 0.5 watts (max)

FattyP
Active Level 8
Others
I completely understand the glasses situation. In fact, I sometimes use the macro feature on my camera for such cases. 😅

Mac, if you look at the specs, look at the line just before the last one.

"External Power Supply 5V DC@2A"

The TV's USB port is only 1 Amp. I'd try connecting power to your DAC with a 2 amp charger or power supply instead of the TV's port.

Side note to your Digital vs. optical question.

DAC, as you know means Digital to Audio Converter. Digital is anything that transmits ones and zeros. A USB wire connected to you PC or laptop is Digital. Optical as well is digital.

If you look at this DAC here, only input is USB. (DIGITAL)

https://www.wish.com/product/5d567d5349da0e3ed63fd0a9?from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=CA...

This is a pretty good explanation here of what a DAC is:

https://www.headphones.com/pages/what-is-a-dac#:~:text=A%20DAC%20%5BDigital-to-,sent%20to%20a%20head....

Hope this helps 😁
0 Likes
Mac6
Active Level 1
Others

Thanks for the reply.   Will do some studying.

FattyP
Active Level 8
Others
👍
0 Likes