Original topic:

Stolen phone / Two-factor Authentication

(Topic created on: 04-12-2021 07:14 AM)
ik
Active Level 6
Options
Others
I'm just gonna let you know that if you lose your phone number or someone steal your phone with your SIM in it (obviously), you can say bye bye to your Samsung account. Because the 2FA only works with your SIM not E-mail, unless you walk around your backup code.
 I know someone who lost he samsung account with all his notes, password on samsung pass, clouds and anything you can think of.

I don't know how Samsung managed to mess that up 🤦 
12 Comments
Others
This is same as Apple too. But Apple has a different way, account can add 2nd trust numbers for 2FA. If you did not set 2nd trust number, will end up in the same scenario.

So Samsung account backup code kind of like 2nd trust phone numbers. But 2nd trust phone numbers can be removed too if someone can login to that account. Therefore, backup code is better, at least people cannot get rid of it. But the problem is...how many users will keep their codes and do they remember where they put 😅 Very good topic to remind me...where is my code?? 🤔

Actually, I trusted my computer browser and tablet browser that do not require 2FA. Therefore, I do not have anything to worry. I still able to login to my account or request password change without 2FA at home computers. You could do that for your home devices to skip the 2FA.
ik
Active Level 6
Others
Ohhh, I see.
Bro I just realise that my backup code is in my Samsung note 🤣 🤦, if I lose my account it's over.
Others
😅 Print it out Bro.

I have a client recently his iPhone screen blackout. He tried to switch to another phone. But 2FA always go to his old phone. Even removed his SIM still the same. Can't verify over the email as well. He called Apple and gave them 🤬. Apple just told him they cannot help him. System is system, enter all required info and wait at least 13 days to unlock the account. If info is incorrect or not accurate, this process could longer. My client already said he is the owner of the phone, but still can't unlock the account. So, he fixed his faulty screen and he finally unlocked his account. He freak out on Apple security is so tight and you cannot do anything. Imagine if someone took over the account, nothing you or Apple support can do. 😑
ik
Active Level 6
Others
😱 yooo, I need to take googledrive and Onedrive more seriously for backup. Recovery is easier with them.
PigFarmer
Active Level 10
Others
I use Lookout security and anti-virus which can track my phone if :- illegal entry is detected, SIM card removal, low battery etc. Gives me location, map and address.
I don't rely on Samsung. It's good to have a reliable source ..... it can lock and wipe my phone and make it scream even if another SIM card is inserted.
ik
Active Level 6
Others
Thank you, I'll download it. Hope it's not expensive though 😬
PigFarmer
Active Level 10
Others
It's free up to a really useful point. It's $29 Cdn. For a year. I wanted to have the peace of mind of a good security and anti virus app.
There are cheaper apps but I use Lookout from the start. They also provide VPN for extra security.
Good luck.
0 Likes
ik
Active Level 6
Others
$29/Yr isn't that bad you know, I was expecting another $9.99/month. Nowadays if you don't pay attention your monthly subscriptions are going to be another bill😄. I need to cancel a lot of them to be honest.
PigFarmer
Active Level 10
Others
It's a one time payment for peace of mind.