Original topic:

Talk to Text issue/question

(Topic created on: 05-04-2021 02:07 PM)
Karlsburg
Active Level 1
Options
Others
Hi I recently got this samasung a51 and it's great aside from its talk to text feature, maybe I'm missing something...

On my previous phone when using talk to text you could select a word and it would give you options of what you meant for example

I'm saying: have you ate today?
Samsung types: have you 8 today?

Or, this one happened today too...

I'm saying: have you eaten yet?
Samsung types: have you Eaton yet?

On my previous phone you could select 8 or Eaton and it would show you variations. 

This applies to a bunch of other words and it may seem trivial but wanting to communicate with the proper English words I'm saying is important to me. I already have to use talk to text because of my bunk hands but with Samsung talk to text I'm constantly having to go back in and use the keyboard because it doesn't pick up words properly or doesn't use the right word.

Is there a setting I'm missing that would make talk to text better or is it just crap compared to other Android talk to text? Accessibility is important. What's the point of using it if I have to correct it all the time? I had to type this because using talk to text to express this would be a huge hassle which defeats the point of having it there to help people who have hand and typing issues like myself 

Thanks for any tips. I try to enunciate really clearly and look absolutely ridiculous and it still chooses wrong versions of words but gives no option to select what it could have been instead (eight, 8, ate)
0 Likes
7 Comments
Others
Are you using Microphone icon on the keyboard? Or it is Bixby Dictate? Or Google Assistant Voice?
0 Likes
Karlsburg
Active Level 1
Others
Microphone icon on keyboard
0 Likes
Valeriya
Options
Others

Hi, Please try to turn on predictive texts. You can quickly access the predictive text settings anytime the Samsung keyboard is open or via the Settings menu.

Via the keyboard: Tap the Settings icon. Tap "Smart typing". Tap the switch to activate or deactivate. Via the Settings menu: Go to "Settings", then tap "General management". Tap "Language and input", "On-screen keyboard", then "Samsung Keyboard". Tap "Smart typing". Tap the switch to activate or deactivate. Please note: These are the steps for the latest Samsung operating system. If your device settings look different, try following a different path.

0 Likes
Karlsburg
Active Level 1
Others
Hi Val, when I get to the keyboard settings predictive text is turned on and works fine for typing. I'm looking for multiple options for the same word when using the talk to text option not multiple options when typing onscreen keyboard. When using the microphone icon to talk to text it doesn'tpopulate with options same way it does when typing with keyboard regularly.. it just shows the big microphone that pulses when you talk and the words show on screen with no option to choose the correct one in instances of "ate" vs "eight" and things of the same.
0 Likes
Others
I did a test, it doesn't work. But not only on Samsung Text to speech, but Also Google Voice too.
Karlsburg
Active Level 1
Others
Thank you Tallman, that is unfortunate I guess whatever my old LG Android used for talk to text, which I thought was just Google it operated the same way with the mic icon on the keyboard and populates the screen with the microphone that pulses when you're talking howveer the only difference was the underlined marking on certain words that would give you the option to select a different word of the same pronunciation. Its definitely superior to whatever Samsung is doing with theirs🤪 😔
0 Likes
shell52
Active Level 2
Others
I can't seem to get my A51 to just normal text instead it's mms and the screen acts and looks inside out
0 Likes