Original topic:

Resolutions and devices

(Topic created on: 04-26-2021 10:54 AM)
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Options
Samsung DeX

Edit: A Reddit user has gone the extra mile and uncovered that the phone checks for a Samsung vendor ID on the adapter being used. This is clearly an artificial limitation and one that Samsung should correct immediately. See the output code which indicates this here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SamsungDex/comments/jte853/a_deeper_look_into_samsung_dex_resolution_and/

Easily resolved with root, meaning Samsung can correct it in a future update with little more than a line of code.

Edit 2: Motorola's "Ready For" desktop mode supports up to 4K output regardless of the dock or adapter used (assuming the dock/adapter otherwise supports 4K) as does the AOSP desktop mode. You can even try the latter on a Galaxy device and get up to 4K output where DeX restricts you to 1080p. Ridiculous.

Please do not artificially restrict "smartphones" to only FHD and HD+ resolutions when using an accessory other than a DeX Station or DeX Pad. The Tab and Fold can both display 1440p regardless of the accessory used, and have no such limitation imposed on them. 

Please simply allow the same freedom of resolution to all DeX devices, "regardless of the type of connected accessories." Samsung doesn't even make or sell a DeX Station or DeX Pad anymore! 

Thank you -

dcevzqdxu6t51.png

85 Comments
Bill_mahm
Beginner Level 4
Samsung DeX

This is outrageous Samsung. Is this how you treat customers who pay 1.2k+ on a device? It would literally take one line of code to remove this artificial limitation.    

nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Samsung DeX
Truth. Thank you for your support. It's even more ridiculous when you see that other desktop modes, like the new "Ready For" desktop mode from Motorola, output up to 4K with any adapter - no special hardware required.
Krypton777
Beginner Level 2
Samsung DeX

I have a Galaxy Note10+ with Android 11 and One UI 3.1 . I have a DeX station from samsung . If i connect to a Samsung 4k TV  (UE50MU6172U) the maximum resolution for dex is 1080p . why is that the maximum? can't I have 1440p?

With the DeX Station and Note10+ could I connect to a 21:9 3440x1440 monitor and have the maximum 1440p resolution?

nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Samsung DeX
The TV likely doesn't support 1440p natively. This is why DeX should support 4K output just like the Android desktop mode and the new Motorola "Ready For" desktop modes. You can also force DeX to output 4K if your device is rooted.

Again, another pointless and arbitrary limitation imposed by Samsung...
Krypton777
Beginner Level 2
Samsung DeX

and, what about an 3440x1440 monitor with Note10+ and DeX station ?

nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Samsung DeX
Yes, you would get full 3440x1440 with a DeX Station and an ultrawide that natively supports that resolution (that's the setup I have, including the N10+).

3440x1440 is the highest resolution DeX supports, and only with specific docks and connections (which is the whole point of this thread, lol).
jorgeantillon
Active Level 1
Samsung DeX

Samsung be good!!! Else you will push people to look for other solutions such as Motorola new desktop mode, they know their game.

TuTenkamun
Active Level 2
Samsung DeX

Samsung DEX used to work perfectly with all my home TVs and Google  Chromecast when I first purchased my Z Fold 2.

Unfortunately the first OTA update destroyed DEX for me. Now I MUST use a HDMI adapter box & cable for any hope of DEX.

The very thing I bought the Fold 2 for has now been kneecapped. And no sign of help in any subsequent updates. 

Samsung really knows how to shaft its users 🥶

nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Samsung DeX
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's absolutely frustrating when the feature you bought the device for is taken away. Almost smells like a class action lawsuit, frankly.
TheAmnesiacKid
Beginner Level 3
Samsung DeX

I have never been a huge Samsung guy. I've chosen HTC and Pixel phones in the past. I especially appreciated the stock Android presentation afforded by Google. However, after watching videos on Dex, I decided to spring for the S21 Ultra. Dex is a great feature but I'm absolutely bummed that I can't display anything above 1080p. I am advocating for Samsung to remove this limitation on third party cables; especially considering there is no first party option for the S21 Ultra.

I would actually like Samsung to allow lower resolutions as well. I have some old 4:3 monitors with sub HD native resolutions that would be awesome to use with Dex.

Please improve resolution support, Samsung. Two options is insufficient.