Original topic:

Resolutions and devices

(Topic created on: 10-15-2020 01:40 AM)
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Options
Samsung DeX

Edit: A Reddit user has gone the extra mile and uncovered that the phone checks for a Samsung vendor ID on the adapter being used. This is clearly an artificial limitation and one that Samsung should correct immediately. See the output code which indicates this here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SamsungDex/comments/jte853/a_deeper_look_into_samsung_dex_resolution_and/

Easily resolved with root, meaning Samsung can correct it in a future update with little more than a line of code.

Edit 2: Motorola's "Ready For" desktop mode supports up to 4K output regardless of the dock or adapter used (assuming the dock/adapter otherwise supports 4K) as does the AOSP desktop mode. You can even try the latter on a Galaxy device and get up to 4K output where DeX restricts you to 1080p. Ridiculous.

Please do not artificially restrict "smartphones" to only FHD and HD+ resolutions when using an accessory other than a DeX Station or DeX Pad. The Tab and Fold can both display 1440p regardless of the accessory used, and have no such limitation imposed on them. 

Please simply allow the same freedom of resolution to all DeX devices, "regardless of the type of connected accessories." Samsung doesn't even make or sell a DeX Station or DeX Pad anymore! 

Thank you -

dcevzqdxu6t51.png

85 Comments
Samsung_ELYvE9P
Beginner Level 3
Samsung DeX

I think this kind of restriction limits the Note/S series phone from being called as flagship phones. 

nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Samsung DeX
"Like" the original post if you agree 👍
SilvioBritto
Active Level 5
Samsung DeX

We users must be capable to use what is sold to us ro it's capacities. This limitation is artificial and absurd.

pimikiel
Beginner Level 4
Samsung DeX

I need 32:9 resolutions and 4K. My foldable phone can output those resolution signals, but dex swiches signal back to restricted ones at last boot up step for no real reason. Pls samsung

Jassi2
Active Level 2
Samsung DeX

What's crazy is the resolutions are limited even with the official Samsung multi port adapter. 

nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Samsung DeX
Yep! Samsung won't even sell you an adapter which "supports" 1440p with "regular" phones - the DeX Station and DeX Pad have been discontinued for over a year.

Gross anti-consumer behaviour by Samsung locking out 1440p on regular Galaxy/Note devices with an arbitrary software policy.
anon34u5
Beginner Level 2
Samsung DeX

Seconded. This greatly limits the usefulness of dex to me. I did not know of this limitation before I bought my phone and I would not have purchased if I knew about this beforehand.

mmdsj250
Active Level 3
Samsung DeX

Seconded! This limitation imposed by Samsung makes no sense.

keagan
Options
Samsung DeX

Hi Samsung Members, Thanks for sharing your opinions on this. We are taking this as your feedback.