Original topic:

Android app - Phone permissions!?

(Topic created on: 05-21-2022 08:26 AM)
lbl1
Beginner Level 2
Options
Samsung Health

Why is Phone permissions a required premission on an exercise app/calorie counter/food tracker app?

This is totally ridiculous! I'm setting up a Samsung watch I got and there's no chance I'm granting the Samsung Health app the phone permissions on my Android device.

9 Comments
Axton
Options
Samsung Health

Hi, Samsung Health now requires phone permission to provide a better service experience.

Please understand that permission is needed to verify the unique device identifier for Together feature and is not used in other purposes.
Phone permission of Samsung Health is not asking for an actual phone call or not browsing call history. Furthermore, Samsung Health delivers the service based on Samsung Account and now requires 2 step verification to beef up the security of Samsung Account.
The verification process will complete to enter ID and Password, log in, add phone numbers, receive and enter the code.
Please understand that Samsung Health works properly after finishing the process.

0 Likes
lbl1
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

"Furthermore, Samsung Health delivers the service based on Samsung Account and now requires 2 step verification to beef up the security of Samsung Account"

Is this true though? I have a LOT of other applications on my phone with 2FA through phone/call and text message and none of them are asking for the operating system to grant phone permissions at all. If I'm logging in to my Samsung Health account, I'm recieving a text to 2FA verify it.

Other apps using 2FA to log into a web account aren't requiring the user's phone permissions at all.

RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Samsung Health

Just Toggle OFF the phone permissions for Samsung Health. 

The reasons you were given here are nonsense. 

Google Fit does not need phone permissions either. 

Some permissions do make sense, like Location  & Body Sensors.

20 May 2022 181833 GMT-0400.jpg

Theblueberry
Active Level 6
Samsung Health
If you look under permission manager in Settings and then when Phone, it shows all the apps that requested access but you also have the option to them click on that app and it will show you all the permissions that this app has requested system wide, and on that page you can click the three dots in the upper corner and it gives shows "All permissions" and then it breaks down the SPECIFIC permissions it wants to use.
Like under my Samsung health, which I let access Phone, it just wants to view phone numbers and read phone status. Which I believe are related to the sharing/contacts features Health offers or something similar.

But it's not that ridiculous that A Samsung app wants to access part of a Samsung device that works with another Samsung device. I would think trying to keep all these integrated apps on your device working while also isolating them from each other is not very doable.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Samsung Health

The OP was saying that phone permissions were "required", they are not.

What Samsung's Moderator was saying was nonsense, & the explanation trying to justify the non existent "requirement", were rubbish.

If people want to allow the permissions, sure & that's entirely up to them, but these permissions are not a requirement.. Samsung Health works perfectly fine without them. 

Theblueberry
Active Level 6
Samsung Health
Yes, mods are usually just scrolled passed in my experience

but it's also not really "required" required, cause that implies that the app won't work without it.
Samsung just refers to it as a requirement, when it's really a singulst feature specific permission requirement.

If it were unable to opt out of it, then I would get upset about it.
Samsung should also just not refer to optional permissions as required ones though.
0 Likes
Experts
Active Level 5
Samsung Health

It is not cool! Well, Samsung does something weird, alright? They ask for pĥoning permissions to get sometimes the 2FA directly without you inputing it yourselves! There should be an option to make it manually, though, right? That would be nicer.

0 Likes
Matthews1122
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

Besides, Samsung Health conveys the assistance in view of Samsung Account and presently requires 2 stage confirmation to augment the security of Samsung Account"

However, is this valid? I have a LOT of different applications on my telephone through telephone/call and instant message and not a single one of them is requesting the working framework to concede telephone consent by any means. In the event that I'm signing in to my Samsung Health account, I'm receiving a text to confirm it.

Other applications utilized to sign into a web account aren't needing the client's telephone consent by any means. Any app like Free Fire Mod Apk won't work without it.

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Samsung Health

Just deny the permissions you don't want to grant. Simple. 

Screenshot_20220623-115709_Permission controller.jpg

0 Likes