Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Heartrate has large gaps during exercise with Samsung Health on Galaxy Watch 3

(Topic created on: 09-13-2021 12:49 PM)
raywoodson
Active Level 1
Options
Samsung Health

This is my second Watch 3. The first one had many sensors fail so it was replaced. Now I can't get a consistent Heartrate trace during exercise (walking). I've been using trackers for 5 years Garmin HR+, Gear S3 Frontier (3 different watches)  and Galaxy Watch 3 (on my second one). The reliability of the heartrate  sensor on the W3 is abysmal. I've done everything suggested on the Samsung support site and in the various forums.  Permissions, off/on, switch to manual/back to continuous, location, etc. It seems to work for a while after I do some magical combination of the suggestions, but soon returns to its unreliable self. 

I'd like to know if there is a definitive set (series/sequence) of steps to correct this or do I need to replace this watch a third time (like I did with the Gear S3)? 

I sincerely thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.

7 Comments
Solution
jokkir
Active Level 6
Samsung Health
I found that on my Active 2 it needs to have a pretty snug fit for it to reliably read my heart rate without gaps (or at least minimize it). Like it doesn't have to be really tight but tight enough without it moving too much when adjusting arm position.

I had a similar annoyance when I go biking though that seemed to have fixed it.
raywoodson
Active Level 1
Samsung Health

Thanks for your reply.  It's tight. I've experimented with moving, tightening, loosening to no avail.

0 Likes
Georgine
Options
Samsung Health

Hi Raywoodson, There are a few instructions to be followed when you wear a watch. Could you confirm if you have followed all the below instructions?

The accuracy of the optical heart rate sensor may be diminished depending on measurement conditions and surroundings.

Use the HR feature only for measuring your heart rate.

Cold ambient temperatures may affect your measurement; during winter or cold weather, keep yourself warm when checking your heart rate.

Smoking or consuming alcohol before taking measurements may cause your heart rate to be different from your normal heart rate.

Do not talk, yawn, or breathe deeply while taking heart rate measurements. Doing so may cause your heart rate to be recorded inaccurately.

The signal may be affected by your skin brightness, blood flow under your skin, and the cleanliness of the sensor area.

In addition, if your heart rate is extremely high or low, measurements may be inaccurate.

Users with thin wrists may receive inaccurate heart rate measurements when the device is loose, causing the light to be reflected unevenly.

If heart rate measurement is not working properly, adjust the position of the device’s optical heart rate sensor to the right, left, up, or down on your wrist, or wear the device on your inner arm so that the sensor is in contact with your skin.

0 Likes
raywoodson
Active Level 1
Samsung Health

Thanks. I don't mean to sound curt, but did you even read my original post?  This is about HR while exercising using the Samsung Health App.

As I said in my original post, " I can't get a consistent Heartrate trace during exercise (walking)."  Samsung Health records HR as one of it's parameters.  If it isn't supposed to work unless I'm not talking or breathing deeply, then Samsung should take it off of the Samsung Health App. 

BTW, like I also said, in my original post, "I've been using trackers for 5 years Garmin HR+, Gear S3 Frontier (3 different watches)  and Galaxy Watch 3 (on my second one)." I've read every manual and website post regarding this issue and I've done everything except trying to sit still and not breathe deeply which is pretty tough if I'm walking for exercise.

I'll keep looking for a solution because I know I'm not the only one who's had this issue.

Georgine
Options
Samsung Health

Hi Raywoodson, these are precautions to be followed to get accurate results. Yes, I did read your post. As you had also contacted the support team, I'm sure that you had performed a reset. If you still have the issue, we recommend it to get it examined by the technician to determine the cause of the issue.

0 Likes
Jetjock43
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health
I have had the same problem with the Heart Rate. While I am exercising it consistently goes up close to 200 BPM. My old Fitbit Charge 2 plus a Pulse Oximeter never rarely go above 150. After 1 1/2 hours on a chat with Customer Support going through a reset and other suggestions I was told to look at a video link for another watch. According to that you should sit still for 2 minutes to get an accurate reading. That is BS. This watch advertises that it will track all kinds of exercises. The only one that seems to be accurate is the Automatic Walk and lower end values under 120.
0 Likes
Smithrsii
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

This may be too late, but I purchased a polar H9 belt. Much more reliable, connects (follow instructions) easily, accurate, not really obtrusive. Amazon reasonable 

0 Likes