Original topic:

Latest update made my Samsung charge really slow. I just got it a year ago.

(Topic created on: 06-24-2021 11:38 AM)
Lauranovelist
Active Level 1
Options
Samsung Health
Thanks Samsung for messing up my phone.   I wonder if suddenly it will lose its charge really fast.  It's not like a phone company hasn't done this before. 
Lauranovelist
Active Level 1
Samsung Health
The battery drains faster and charge takes longer
Lauranovelist
Active Level 1
Samsung Health
The battery come on one person with one phone is saying the same thing as one person with three phones. But it must be the battery
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Samsung Health

Yup, it definitely sounds like the battery is toast. You can check the battery in the Samsung Members app. Click on "help" & then Interactive Tests & Then the Battery Icon. Your phone should NOT be plugged in while performing the test. 

Lexi98
Active Level 4
Samsung Health
Ok....I tried this...it shows my current battery power, life is "good" and the capacity. It sounds like the battery is fine?
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Samsung Health

That being the case, what I would do is backup with smart switch & factory reset. 

After you Factory reset your phone, it will be as it was when you first got it. So remember your passwords etc. 

Lexi98
Active Level 4
Samsung Health
I see. Question.....why is it that all these updates mostly go okay, but every now and again a weird thing happens and no matter what the problem is, the answer always ends up, do a factory reset? I'm not trying to be difficult, but, for me, that is just unreasonable. I don't intentionally use cloud services, and I don't treat my phone like a computer that is backed up regularly. This is not the first wacky update related problem I've had with one of the Samsung products. I'm genuinely curious about why the "factory reset" solution has become standard.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Samsung Health

Factory Reset is pretty much the "if all else fails" last resort to try & correct any issues.

The Security Patch OTAs should have a built-in "wipe cache" script, so when you Boot the device after installing the update, it *SHOULD* be good to go.

Over time, we users may install apps, or make some changes that can have unintended results.

I always Boot into recovery after every Security Patch Update & Wipe the Cache & after EVERY Android Version update, I ALWAYS backup with smart switch & factory reset.

I've never had any problems using this approach in more than a decade & multiple different devices.

It's also possible that if you have never done a factory reset, there may be some "junk" that has been carried over? 

Anyway, a factory reset can cure a lot of different problems, just be sure to backup your phone with smart switch FIRST. 🙂

Lexi98
Active Level 4
Samsung Health
Thank you for explaining. That makes a lot of sense and I truly appreciate you taking the time to explain the "why". I will seriously consider doing this.
Are there steps listed somewhere for doing things like backing up to smart switch and boot into recovery? I have the steps for wiping the cache on the phones with buttons on both sides. How do you do it on the z fold 2?
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Samsung Health

Download the Smart Switch app to your phone & computer (I use the external sd card on my S20 Ultra, but I don't believe that the Z Fold 2 has an external sd card slot).

Connect your Z Fold 2 to your computer & Open Smart Switch & select what you want to backup.

This is ⚠ IMPORTANT ⚠️ because a Factory Reset will effectively wipe your phone & when you boot up, it will be as it was when you first got it! So you'll need all your login information > passwords etc.

To Boot into Recovery, it's the same as when you Booted into recovery to wipe cache.

Power OFF the phone, wait a couple of seconds & then Press & HOLD the Volume UP & the power button until you feel the phone vibrate. Release both buttons & after a couple of seconds you'll see the Recovery Menu. Use the volume button to scroll down to "wipe data/factory reset" & select it with the power button. You'll see the factory reset process happening. Once completed the phone will default back to the Recovery menu & "Reboot Now". Select this with the power button & wait for your phone to Reboot to the Welcome screen.

After you have logged into your phone, you can use smart switch to restore your apps, settings etc. 

Lexi98
Active Level 4
Samsung Health
Got it! Thank you for explaining the how-to!