Original topic:

Max heart rate

(Topic created on: 05-18-2022 06:32 AM)
Kvy
Active Level 1
Options
Samsung Health

The app says my maximum heart rate is 181, but I regularly measure it to be around 190. This causes the heat rate zones to be all wrong. How can I change the setting?

50 Comments
Furby1st
Beginner Level 4
Samsung Health

Hi, I'm also intersted to change de max heart rate, i was scared to see the % of the maximum heart rate on my trainings but my real max heart rate higher 

Maybe concider the ability to add other calculation method like karvonen or another ?

Paska2
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

Please make it possible to change the maximum heart rate asap. The watch is useless if you cannot use the real max heart rate. I will drive over the f....king thing with my Volkswagen which is btw more intelligent toy than this watch.

ChrisMag
Active Level 1
Samsung Health

Can't believe they cant (wont) fix this..

OLibaba
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

This is totally madness. The original post is over 2 years old, and nothing has has been done with this quite simple task to solve the heart rate zones.

Screenshot_20220425_100350.jpg

One hour in "red zone" , 96,8% of a one hour and 5 minutes jogging session basically makes me a super human that should get more media attention than I receive at the moment (zero). 

The measurements are so incredibly stupid that any person with a tiny fraction of knowledge about training and physiology should be truly embarrassed to be a part of this implementation of heart rate zones. 

Just to exemplify: I am 48 years old and have a measured max pulse at 196 bpm.

The most used formula to calculate max pulse is (and this is so sadly outdated and no serious vendor of a training gadget would even consider to use it):

220 - age, witch in my case is 172!!!

Age has NOTHING to do with individual max pulse!

Here is a suggestion to Samsung how to fix.

1. If it is a problem to make the zones editable (would require UI changes in app, and that seems unlikely on this side of 2050). Set this up as a backend job when collection heart rate data from training sessions. 

2. If a higher heart rate is registered during the session, use this as max heart rate. An algorithm to remove "peaks" from faulty measurement could easily be implemented.

3. Continuously collect max heart rates and adjust if higher than the previously registered heart rate. 

This is the simplest step by step solution, but one should of course add some peak smoothing algorithms and maybe a median calculation of max heart rate as the amount of data gets more comprehensive. Also add a percent to the max measurement since this is unlikely the real max, since it is hard to reach without doing a kick **bleep** training session targeted to force the max heart rate.

Your welcome, Samsung 

Shembree89
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

To help with accuracy they could also enable the ability to pair with a chest strap, like the 5 other wear OS running apps I have do.

Shembree89
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

Not only is this thread incredibly old, and very popular with many pointing out legitimate problems with the software, but it is an incredibly simple fix! Much like adding the ability to use a chest monitor (other wear os apps do it) ... This is 100% just samsung being lazy and not listening to their base. Why? Because we already bought their product. I can't wait for Garmin to release a legitimate cellular watch so I can go back.

inwis
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

Agree, this is a desired function. It is needed to be able to correctly assess workout. According to the app/formula my max rate is 153 while it in fact is closer to 180. That is a major difference.

Medico
Active Level 2
Samsung Health

The issue is resolved by reentry the date of birth in the profile and save it. Moreover, they is a place to enter the desired max heart rate. Samsung added that. Thanks to God. Today, I see correct numbers after 3 years incorrect HR zones. 

0 Likes
no_panic
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

In the EU community someone wrote how to change the max heart rate. It worked for me.

The user wrote:

you change from the Samsung Health App 6.22.6.005 on the smart phone.

Select "View History" from the Exercise section, then select one of your workouts.

On the line that says "Heart Rate Zones" there is an "i" with a circle around it - tap the i and you'll see that's screen.

And he posted this screenshot:

Screenshot_20221126_211434_Samsung Health.jpg

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/wearables/changing-heart-rate-zones-on-galaxy-watch-5-pro/td-p/5... 

0 Likes
huckleberry2703
Beginner Level 5
Samsung Health

Well that is a lie or was removed by Samsung.

Screenshot_20230918-140243.png

0 Likes