Original topic:

Max heart rate

(Topic created on: 06-05-2020 03:10 PM)
Kvy
Active Level 1
Options
Samsung Health

The app says my maximum heart rate is 181, but I regularly measure it to be around 190. This causes the heat rate zones to be all wrong. How can I change the setting?

50 Comments
keagan
Options
Samsung Health

Hi Kvy, Could you please give us information about the device/s you are using. Please note that the heart rate varies from person to person depending on factors that include age, height, weight, and health.

0 Likes
Kvy
Active Level 1
Samsung Health

I'm using a Gear S3 with the Samsung health app in my phone.

I know that max heart rate varies, that's why I want to set it to my personal value.

keagan
Options
Samsung Health
Hi Kvy,I guess that you're having trouble getting an accurate measurement, please review this information:
Environmental factors that cause inaccuracy ->
-The heart rate figures may not be accurate depending on measurement conditions and surroundings.
-If heart rate measurements are taken at low temperatures, the results may be inaccurate. Keep yourself warm when measuring your heart rate.
-If the heart rate sensor is dirty, wipe the sensor with a soft, clean, dry cloth and try again.
-Obstructions between the watch band and your wrist, such as body hair, dirt, or other objects may prevent the light from reflecting evenly.
Other factors ->
-Smoking or consuming alcohol before taking measurements may cause your heart rate to be different from your normal heart rate.
-Do not talk, yawn, or breathe deeply while taking heart rate measurements.
-Users with thin wrists may receive inaccurate heart rate measurements with the watch.
0 Likes
Kvy
Active Level 1
Samsung Health

No, my problem is that the heart rate zones are messed up, since the app seems to think that my max heart rate is 181, when in fact it is around 190.

This causes most of my workouts to occur in "maximum" intensity, but in reality it would clearly be impossible to stay at maximum intensity for >30 minutes straight.

keagan
Options
Samsung Health

Hi Kvy, 

Heart rate zones cannot be changed manually and it is automatically selected on the basis of your information like age, weight and height etc., If the measurement is very different from the expected heart rate, rest for 30 minutes and measure it again.
If you think that the heart rate is inaccurate, please backup the watch data to Samsung account from galaxy wearable app and reset the watch.
tonnerdmhe
Beginner Level 4
Samsung Health

Hi Keagan

I'm not sure you are getting the issue.  We are not complaining that our individual watches heart rate measurement feature is not functioning correctly.  What we are trying to say is the concept that Samsung Health is forcing us to use that estimates our maximum heartrate based on age, and weight is inappropriate or basically incorrect and outdated thinking.  Each person has their own individual maximum heartrate that is not an estimation, it can be measured.   So at a minimum please enable the 2nd of following two function for us to enjoy heart zone training with the existing samsung health apps.  Please send this to engineering! 

1.  Add a feature to measure our own maximum heart rate (for example run a mile, sprint 100 meters, then record the highest heartbeat found).
2.  Add a feature to let us enter our maximum heartbeat if we know it. 

At age 55 my max heartrate was 210.  The only way I could enable Samsung health to even get close to my zones was to trick it into thinking I was age 18.

tothrec2
Beginner Level 4
Samsung Health

Exactly my issue with Samsung's failure to allow Max Heart Rate configuration.

I did a stress test and found that mine is 16 higher than the 220-age estimate.

0 Likes
Kvy
Active Level 1
Samsung Health

Thanks for your reply. I think Samsung should consider adding a feature to manually set the max heart rate. It should not be a very big change to the app. The automatic method is bound to be wrong for many people, so a manual setting will make the app much more useful.

Please see this link (more examples can be googled):

https://www.runnersworld.com/beginner/a20846630/why-is-my-heart-rate-monitor-reading-above-my-max-he...

S2lomo
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

I agree. I regret buying a Samsung smart watch precisely for that reason.  Heart rate zones vary from people to people, there should be a way to adjust them manually.